A April 2012 "Tail of the Dragon" ride

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to the forum, and have purchased my bike while still deployed in Afghanistan (2006 FZ6). I havent even had a chance to ride it yet, but me and a bunch of my Army brothers are stationed at Ft. Campbell and are planning a weekend trip to "The Tail of the Dragon". I have read on here a few trips that have been made at least once a year, and figured I would let you guys know in case anyone is interested. As of right now we are planning for the last weekend in April. We will have all kinds of bikes in the group. Everything from big cruisers to CBR1000's. We return from Afghanistan in the end of Jan - beginning of Feb time frame, and will be booking things then. If you are interested in coming along, shoot me a PM.

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
A group of us from Colorado trailering out to the tail in May of next year.

Welcome back and have fun out there! In April 2012 we're riding to The Devil's Spine on old Hwy 666. Only about 650 miles away by comparison.

Mynzeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey buddy. Welcome to the site, and good to see another FZ in middle TN. I'm interested in the Dragon run, when planning starts, but until then, once you get back, we should hook up for a ride some time when the weather gets nicer.

-John-

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you get on Cherohola highway, just beyond the south end of the Dragon. Not as tight (and dangerous) on the twisties, but beautiful, some very fast runs/turns that slow down to hair pins and usually, much less traffic. I like it as much as the Dragon, maybe more....Foothills parkway is a nice ride too!

:welcome:

Don't even think about doing the Dragon on the weekend, way too much traffic (unless you plan on puting along)...

Just a side note, we've seen numerous wrecks on the Dragon due to inattentivness. If riding at any fun speed, PAY ATTENTION, no waving, etc, it takes a half second to screw up.

And THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

Last edited:

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
John - Hey my name is Mike. I will definitely hit you up when I get home. I have allot of friends that ride, but allot of them are going to be pcs'ing elsewhere when we get home. Plus, it is always nice to meet new people, and especially when they ride the same bike :) I will keep you posted on the plans for the trip. Promises to be a good time with a butch of Iraq and Afghanistan vets, LOL

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to get a trip down that way in Sept 2012. I know that doesn't help the OP but wanted to put my bid in. Just need to pass this through Congress after the holidays and I should be set. :thumbup:

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
haha, Congress can be tough sometimes :) I know that feeling. If you end up down here in Sept. as well, hit me up. I have allot of buddies that are always up for a ride. As it stands right now, we are going to have to get a cabin or two. Seems like everyday I have someone here tell me they want to go. Not counting chickens till they hatch.

D

Dave.TX

I would love to go in April but am planning a trip to CA for a friends dad's 70th birthday.

Clovis, I have time off in May, 11-21, and was planning on going to D.C. for National Police Week but unsure how to get there. A coworker wants to fly but I'm thinking it's a great opportunity to ride and visit my good friend in N.C. (same one who's dad is turning 70). If I rode I'd be going it alone, for all I know.

Thank you Massaudio and your fellow service members for your sacrifices and glad to hear you're coming home. :thumbup: Congrats on the bike, you'll love it!

BTW, I went riding yesterday for a short 66 miles and the warmest it got was 43, wind chill was in the 30's with the 10-15mph winds. I know I need better (warmer) gloves but aside from that was fine.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Dave !! We appreciate it greatly !! If something falls through and you don't end up going, shoot me a message, we would love to have another rider along.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you guys ride the tail, I highly recommend doing it during the WEEK. It is so crowded during the weekend and there are a lot more police on the weekend. Definitely ride the Cherohala Skyway too! No doubt you will have fun even on a weekend. Weekdays just let you enjoy it even more.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Allot of us where thinking that it might be busy on the weekend. The only problem with doing it during the week is that we all work together, and I don't think our command will let all the NCO's in shop take off at the same time, LOL A few of us are in different shops or different mos's (jobs), but the bulk of us are from the same shop. I guess we will see when we get closer. We all are just counting down the days to get home at this point.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Allot of us where thinking that it might be busy on the weekend. The only problem with doing it during the week is that we all work together, and I don't think our command will let all the NCO's in shop take off at the same time, LOL A few of us are in different shops or different mos's (jobs), but the bulk of us are from the same shop. I guess we will see when we get closer. We all are just counting down the days to get home at this point.

Oh haha ya they probably wont appreciate a group of you taking off. Either way the road is just plain amazing. Something every motorcyclist should experience whenever they get the chance.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Subscribed. Looking at a trip down around that time.

Hunker down there, just a few cold months to go.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
im def in esp to get to ride with those who protect me my son wife and baby on the way itd be an honor to ride with you guys and would be the least i could do to help give our soliders a welcome home and thank you ride!!!!!

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Be very careful up there man as a Marine I'd hate to see even one of my Army brethren eat it up there and then on top of that also become a DOD Stat.

If you've never been try to hit the actual Dragon early in the morning prior to 8 to avoid most of the traffic. Watch VERY carefully for traffic as everyone has a tendency to go way over the line down there. The Killboy website has LOTS of pics of people buying it in headons or sideswipes.

Also keep in mind there are TONS of good roads in that area outside of the Dragon. Lots of folks get sucked into the Dragon and spend all of their time there and miss out on lots of good roads.

This is me back in July during a 5000 mile tour of the eastern states.

261624_2241472242435_1416956060_32622410_5110826_n.jpg

268043_2241473042455_1416956060_32622412_8331207_n.jpg