'98 Fazer 600S Maintenance

Copes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm the happy owner of a '98 FZ600-S which I purchased a month ago. So far it has been only joy, a really nice bike to get to know and learn to drive.

My only concern is maintenance. Being a complete MC rookie, I have no clue about what maintenance I need to do on a regular basis and what it is recommended to check every now and then.
So if anybody has some good tips and tricks it would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Copes

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and :welcome:
I think you have typo in your heading ,lol
You will love the bike and as far as the routine stuff goes just change your oil and filter regularly , lube your cables and chain and asks lots of questions,people here are only to happy to help.:thumbup:

Oh,a pic of the bike would be good too :)

Copes

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot mate! Yeah I'm really enjoying the bike and the Ozzie roads and nature (have only been here for about 1 month)

My bike have run about 50.000 kms, how often would you recommend changing the oil filter? Is there any way to check wether it is in need of replacing?

And enjoy the pic :p

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is your bike truly a '98? If so i think that the engine is based on the 97+ YZF600r (which was my last Bike). That engine has a notoriously problematic 2nd gear, but after 50,000 i would think that it would have shown itself by now, if you are worried lots of people have fixed it with a factory quick shift kit, other than that change the oil and filter every 3000 miles, lube the chain every 300-500 miles, and ride the heck out of it, i got 32,000 miles out of mine and i had no issues whatsoever before i traded it for my '07 :rockon:.

at that mileage it might be a good idea also to synch the carbs and get the valve clearances checked as well if you have no records of it being done by now, but if it starts right up (even when cold) then the valves are probably all set.