86 fz600 pet**** questions

cavaliernik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I just bought an 1986 fz600. It needs some work, but it was an unbelievable deal and the bike is solid despite being in rough shape.

I have a few questions that i haven't been able to answer by searching around. Hopefully some of you might be able to help me with these.

The first question i have is about the pet****. From what i've found when searching for the pet**** positions, it sounds like up should be reserve, front should be prime and down should be on. On my bike the knob points back when in the middle position. Is this correct for some of these bikes, or to i have a backwards knob?

As far as i can tell the pet**** itself looks like the diagrams of the original. I've only been able to get it to run in the back (prime?) position. As i understand this means i may have a vacuum issue with my pet****. Would this be fixed by doing a pet**** rebuild?

Someone added a bunch of sealant around the base of the pet**** where it meets the tank. I am hesitant to remove this and the pet**** until i know i'll be able to reattach it and continue working on the rest of the bike. Are these parts such that it is likely to just be a leaky gasket between the tank and pet****? This is what the diagrams seem to indicate. Would a rebuild kit
contain this seal?
Thanks,
Nik

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Lol! Love the forum censor. Pet****, pet****, pet****!!!

Oh, and as for your question, I don't have a answer about your pet****.

:BLAA:

cavaliernik

Reaction score
Visit site
It turned out that I needed to attach one of the pet**** hoses to a vacuum point on the engine. The only position that will deliver fuel without vacuum is the "prime" position.

In my case i had an open vacuum nozzle/nipple one on one of the manifolds. When i attached this the engine ran better (without this connected i had a vacuum leak) and the pet**** began running in all positions as expected.

As for which position is which, i've forgotten already since I took my tank and pet**** apart. I found that I have a lot of old Kreem and rust on the inside of my tank which is what i'm working on fixing now.