8 years with MSF, 3 years of coaching.. and this is the funniest thing to date!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people are VERY litteral. Take my wife for instance...

No, honey, wait, I was just kidding. Ouch!, wait...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my funnier moments was when I was talking to the students explaining what the objectives and instructions were for the next exercise and then directed my attention to the other RC who was going to provide the demo. Problem was, she was sitting on the bike waiting for my signal to begin and I mentioned aren't you forgetting something? She forgot to put on her helmet:spank: I should have just signaled for her to go and see how long it would have taken her to figure out she was riding with no lid. She was ex LAPD Motors, retired and is a great rider. During lunch break we both would compete against each doing all kinds of stuff with our bikes, such as a slow drag race.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I am just a Mechanic for a MSF BRC school funniest thing I have seen is a guy (who supossedly had experience in 4 wheelers and dirtikes) tried to use the shifter as a kickstarter sheered the bolt clean off luckily bolt took all the damage well that and the shift rod! He was a ninja 250! Only bikes at the school that have kick starter are the scooters!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Me: "Mike, what are you doing?"
Mike: "There's a key in the tank"
Me: "How the heck did that happen?"
Mike: "At the end of the class, coaches told the students to put the keys in the tank"

:rof: :rof: :rof:

It's 01:30 EST, and I've been at work since yesterday morning (emergency power issues in the manufacturing plant... the kind where the backup's backup's backup failed). Needed this laugh.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am just a Mechanic for a MSF BRC school funniest thing I have seen is a guy (who supossedly had experience in 4 wheelers and dirtikes) tried to use the shifter as a kickstarter sheered the bolt clean off luckily bolt took all the damage well that and the shift rod! He was a ninja 250! Only bikes at the school that have kick starter are the scooters!

LMAO! Awesome!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to help close up one of our sites on Sunday. When I got there, I spotted the range coordinator holding a tank upside down over his head and looking up.

(before you read the rest.. at the end of each class, we have to re-fuel the bikes and coaches often look for ways to save time)

Me: "Mike, what are you doing?"
Mike: "There's a key in the tank"
Me: "How the heck did that happen?"
Mike: "At the end of the class, coaches told the students to put the keys in the tank"

:rof: :rof: :rof:
That student was obviously hanging onto every word the instructor said.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the training bikes will not require a key to refuel. I will remind them to leave the key in the ignition in the "Off" Position. Many still forget to turn their ignition off even after repeating Thumb, key valve dozens of times over the course of the day.

I also refuel the bikes during the students lunch break on the 2nd day, so I don't have to refuel it at the very end of the day. The mileage that they put on the bikes is usually minimal since only the practice and evaluation remains, or at the most one or two more range exercise left if it's a class from hell.

Refueling the bike was one of the things I hate doing the most. I can never refuel the bikes without spilling, those damn fuel containers sucks.
Nominate a volunteer Kenny, then you can supervise.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always fun refueling around 3 or 4 in the afternoon during the summer heat back in Las Vegas. Putting the bikes away inside the hot metal containers is no fun either. No ventilation.

On the Retsorg forum, not sure if was created by me, but there was a thread about creating your dream range. I suggested remote controlled led lights, the lights would configure to the range exercise that you elect. No more picking and kicking those damn cones! Also a climate controlled indoor range. And since were on the topic of fuel, an actual fuel pump! You could record how much fuel you used for each class.
A fuel pump would be great, when I got my first bike aged 16 I had learned how to use the clutch and gears and thought I was great until I went to the garage and realised I didn't have a clue how to operate the fuel pump.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Majority of our bikes are Suzuki GN125. They require keys and the key can be taken out once cap is open.

We also have TWs, Nighthawks and Rebels. All require keys.
I was under the impression that riders road their own bikes at the classes. It's great that they are provided. Who funds them and how is servicing cost covered?

Cheers
Nelly

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that riders road their own bikes at the classes. It's great that they are provided. Who funds them and how is servicing cost covered?

Cheers
Nelly

Bikes are funded by donations and we work with dealers to get us bikes in exchange for advertising. Maintenance is paid by us.. it's part of the budget. We volunteer to maintain the bikes well enough to barely need any additional work. We do oil changes and the usual inspection before each class.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes are funded by donations and we work with dealers to get us bikes in exchange for advertising. Maintenance is paid by us.. it's part of the budget. We volunteer to maintain the bikes well enough to barely need any additional work. We do oil changes and the usual inspection before each class.

I love MSF, it is the best way to find out if riding is for you without spending a fortune on a bike.
The great instruction and experience is a nice side effect too.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nominate a volunteer Kenny, then you can supervise.

Nelly

We often have a lot of our students offer to help, but we don't ask any of our student to do anything extra for the most part.

I love MSF, it is the best way to find out if riding is for you without spending a fortune on a bike.
The great instruction and experience is a nice side effect too.

Absolutely, motorcycling is not for everyone. Best way to find out is by taking a MSF Basic class without spending a fortune on gear and most importantly a bike! It's amazing how many will buy the bike first and then take the class. Kudos for them that they are taking the class, but I strongly suggest that for those who have never ridden/operated a motorcycle, they should take the class first then decide from there. I never ask whether my students already own a bike or bought a bike, it's irrelevant information to me.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
This was my 24th season as an MSF coach. Everytime I think I've seen it all or heard it all, someone comes along and makes me retract that;) And yes, we need to be very careful what we say and how we say it. We have many students from many walks of life and many cultures and things sometimes get translated in people's minds in different ways. But, we do have one thing in common and that is the desire to ride a motorcycle which is pretty cool.:thumbup:

We are fortunate at one of my sites where we have a big gasoline tank with a hand crank and pump handle. This makes refueling very easy.

All of our bikes need a key to remove the gas cap. Some require the key to be in to lock the cap and some don't.

In Ohio we have a mixture of bikes. Some are donated by sponsoring manufacturers and some we purchase. Our program is funded by a $6 fee attached to our license plates (used to be $4) plus we now charge $50 to take the class. It used to be free and people would abuse it and not show up. Then, it went to $25. Other Dept of Transportation Safety programs tried to steal our funds and they raised it to $50. Still a bargain in my mind.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Ohio we have a mixture of bikes. Some are donated by sponsoring manufacturers and some we purchase. Our program is funded by a $6 fee attached to our license plates (used to be $4) plus we now charge $50 to take the class. It used to be free and people would abuse it and not show up. Then, it went to $25. Other Dept of Transportation Safety programs tried to steal our funds and they raised it to $50. Still a bargain in my mind.

Absolutely a bargain! No state program in NJ! The fee is $295!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another thought, you better practice what you preach. I often have run into my former students or even had one student take the bus home from class and watched me ride for a short while, not knowing he was on the bus. He commented later about my riding strategy, just like I explained it in the classroom.

We have a professional code of conduct that we must adhere to, we must wear gear, zero alcohol, no points on our records or very little wiggle room, maybe for a couple, etc.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another thought, you better practice what you preach. I often have run into my former students or even had one student take the bus home from class and watched me ride for a short while, not knowing he was on the bus. He commented later about my riding strategy, just like I explained it in the classroom.

We have a professional code of conduct that we must adhere to, we must wear gear, zero alcohol, no points on our records or very little wiggle room, maybe for a couple, etc.

This really clashes with my stunt riding career!! (where's that darn blaa smiley?!) :D

Last edited by a moderator:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely a bargain! No state program in NJ! The fee is $295!!

Is that true? When I took it there was it just fills up fast and few locations. I paid so I could get in sooner and closer. Maybe its changed.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that true? When I took it there was it just fills up fast and few locations. I paid so I could get in sooner and closer. Maybe its changed.

State program went away ~4-5 years ago. They ran 2 sites and they were free to students. Like in Ohio (and many other states), funding came from registration fees.

The program went bankrupt in few short years. On the bright side, we inherited their bike.