5k Rpm Vibration / Buzzing

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it is a pretty common thing for our bikes, but what exactly is it that is buzzing so much at 5k rpm in 1st and 2nd gear?? Is it something easily fixable? I would LOVE to get rid of the annoying buzz

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
4 cylinder engines are known to be buzzy.

I had the buzz, badly, between 4-5k, more thru the seat than anything. I ended up doing a carb sync (wasn't off bad) and checking the sync (besides at idle) at 4k also-then readjusting. That seemed to get rid of 80% of my buzz.

I also put grip puppies on (takes a little bit to get used to) and had my seat re-done with a material (not Gel, I forgot the name) which helped too. Between the mods and my leather Gel vented gloves, don't notice it any more...

If the buzz is bothering you thru the bars, they make a bar snake that goes inside and is supposed to work however I've never used one. Heavier bar ends may also help ((Throttlemeister throttle lock)they did my FJR.

Scott

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW Grip puppies took care of enough for me to not notice, but the previous post has all the rest of the things that i know to look for and try. But Grip puppies are about $10, so it is a great cheap way to start.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Others here have put lead inside the bars. I think lead beads from a dive shop. I won't do it because I don't know enough about lead poisoning to know if it makes my bike toxic :D.

The vibes are there but as others have said, with grip puppies it's not as bad. Also, if you increase revs beyond the vibe zone, it smoothes out.

Dennis

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis-
Did those guys ever get the 15t sprocket thing sorted out? How would you expect that gear change to affect buzz?

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
So its coming from the engine itself huh... The physical vibration doesnt bother me as its not very noticable with the set up i have.. I just hate the noise!!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Adam,
do you wear hearing protection? with any full face helmet it is recommended. I find the noise much more manageable using basic foam earplugs. You can still hear sirens and horns and things but it filters out all the other noise that is bad for your hearing.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're saying it's a noise is could be something loose or something touching something it normally wouldn't. Maybe get help identifying where the noise seams to come from.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis-
Did those guys ever get the 15t sprocket thing sorted out? How would you expect that gear change to affect buzz?

I really don't notice the vibes as much. I use the grip puppies and I think I have good vibration damping in my gloves. I also use an insert in my boots which helps to absorb the vibrations.

Come to think of it, after a lot of riding, I will bump my hand on a counter and feel the remnants of vibration. I need more seat time with the 15T to observe the vibrations; I really haven't paid that much attention to it -- just been riding faster and enjoying the new bike feel. I'll know more as the temperatures/roads get better around here.

Dennis

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have it really bad it sounds like metal vibrating ive got grip puppies but mine comes through my tank and seat and pegs, really annoys me.