520 chain

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be putting the 520 chain some time this weekend and wanted to know if i should soak it in oil WD40 before putting it on. Any help.

W

wrightme43

I wouldnt soak it in WD40 man. I wouldnt soak it in anything.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
If it is an O-ring chain, WD-40 would not be a good thing to soak it in. Just get some chain lube for it and apply it like your regular maintenance routine. If it isn't an O-ring chain and it has some sort of waxy stuff (rust preventative) all over it, then clean it with kerosine or such. Then soak it in some clean motor oil, if you want. It is really a messy job to do it that way. I do it like that for new chains on my dirt bike. But I only do it once. After that, I may WIPE the chain with WD followed by some chain lube. I may use the WD to wipe the chain clean, but never to lube it.

W

wrightme43

So is it okay to clean the chain with WD-40 and then apply the lub? I ask cause I don't keep kerosine handy but I do WD-40.
I have been doing that for 22600 miles on mine and the chain is just fine.

D

D-Rock

The only thing with that is, the WD-40 is going to thin the Lube so it will sling off faster. I have quads and dirt bikes and I never use WD-40 on the chains. I just power wash my bike and spray lube back on the chains to drive the water off and protect it from corrosion. :thumbup:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm I may go to kerosene if the WD does cause the lube to sling off. I cleaned my first chain with gas by spraying the chain as I turned the sprocket. Then I rinsed the chain good. Then I toweled dried the chain and then finally lubed it. The amazing thing was I didn't have any lube slinging no were. It stayed on the chain. I wonder if it was because the gas really cleaned the chain? I bet like the other rider suggested Kerosene it will clean the chain like the gas and when you lube it the lube doesn't sling off.
Also to save you typing I learned afterwords by the forum to not clean a chain with gas cause of the O rings.

D

D-Rock

Kerosene and diesel are pretty much the same thing, so it might be cheaper to go that route. I don’t use WD-40 on my chain after being made fun of by some dirt riders. They just take their bikes to the pressure washer. A chain brush works really well. Then let it dry and re lube up. I have three chains to maintain in my shop. The quad chain stays bone dry because it is rode in the sand dunes. You don’t want oil holding sand in the chain. The CR250 I just wash off with the pressure washer and re spray wax it. I do the same for the FZ6. I live in the desert side of WA and sand is always grinding in my chains, it sux.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the fz6 manual say to lube the chain with motor oil? I'd soak it in that, if anything. WD40 is a solvent...its the opposite of a lubricant.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the fz6 manual say to lube the chain with motor oil? I'd soak it in that, if anything. WD40 is a solvent...its the opposite of a lubricant.

Whats funny is that the owner's manual and the service manual (at least for 2004) contradict each other on this topic. I think there are other contradictions between the two, but can't think of them off hand.

Owner's Manual:
"CAUTION:
Do not use engine oil or any other libricants for the drive chain, as they may contain substances that could damage the O-rings."

Service Manual:
"Wipe the drive chain dry and thoroughly lubricate
it with engine oil or chain lubricant that is
suitable for non-O-ring chains."
"Recommended lubricant
Engine oil or chain lubricant
suitable for non-O-ring chains"

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 should use motorcycle specific motorcycle oil that has properties for the clutch. i never did because it wasn't significant and i changed my oil before it ever broke down...but thats probably why. if you're using regular motor oil, which is a lubricant with no significant additives, you should be right on. i plan to do that and sell my teflon cans that I have.