520 chain conversion/ -1 front +2 rear Vortex setup!

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys ordered my 520 chain conversion with -1 front +2 rear Vortex sprockets, shipped out Saturday morning, should be here Tuesday :rockon:. Already got the speedohealer w/ yamaha connectors (about to pop a cold one and head to the garage to install it actually). Just was wondering if there are any tips or things to watch out for when removing the stock chain and sprockets?? Will post pics with a full write-up when finished, just wanted to make sure there weren't any major pitfalls to be looking out for first. Thanks!

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, but why go to a 520 chain?

The weight change between the stock 530 chain to the 520 chain is what makes the difference. even though it is only (rough guess) a pound and a half difference, that 1.5 pounds being rotated around as such a velocity creates more and more weight due to the mass of the chain spinning at such high speeds. Thus, a 9 pound chain hooked to an engine putting out 9000 RPM in 6th gear will create over 135 pounds of outward spinning force, a 15x multiplier of rotating mass. with that same multiplier, a lighter chain, the 520 7.5 pound chain will now only have 112.5 pounds of outward force.

taking off over 20 pounds of rotating mass will allow the engine to now rev easier, resulting in faster revs, and also allow more power to be transferred to the rear wheal directly without having power wasted by being exerted outward though the rotating mass of the chain.

I know the numbers may not be exact, but you can understand the idea behind the rotating mass of a chain in comparison to the power transfer from the engine to the rear wheel.

I hope this helps you understand the idea behind the 520 chain conversion, as for the gearing change, that is another long answer:D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation of the 520 conversion, Jazz. That's the simplest and most-easily understood explanation I've read.

So would there be much benefit to switching to a 520 chain and keeping the stock sprocket setup (new sprockets with the new chain, of course)? Or are the benefits you listed above dealing with a stock sprocket setup?

Thanks again!

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't Vortex sprockets known to wear pretty quickly? Or is that just from lack of people checking slack?

They are known for wear quickly. This is not just vortex sprockets, but most aluminum sprockets wear quickly due to the soft metal. They wear down to the point of needing to be changed out every 2500 to 6000 miles depending on the power of the engine, the ergos of the bike, and lastly, and more importantly, how you ride. For the 600cc swiss army bike area, most aluminum sprockets will last between 4500 and 6000 miles.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation of the 520 conversion, Jazz. That's the simplest and most-easily understood explanation I've read.

So would there be much benefit to switching to a 520 chain and keeping the stock sprocket setup (new sprockets with the new chain, of course)? Or are the benefits you listed above dealing with a stock sprocket setup?

Thanks again!

Can't put a 520 chain on the stock sprockets because the stock sprockets and chain are all 530 width....if your going to do it, its kinda all or nothing (at least that is my understanding, if I'm wrong someone feel free to shoot me down!)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Vortex steel 15T front sprocket...it's the AL ones that wear fast as mentioned.

I think i might try -1/+2 AL and a 520 next time around just for kicks...I don't do a lot of highway riding.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks again!

Not really. You'll save maybe 1lb of weight if you're lucky and you won't notice it unless you race/do a lot of track days.

But if you're looking to replace your sprockets and chain anyways, then it wouldn't hurt going with a 520 conversion, because you can always buy different sprockets to change the gearing.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
They are known for wear quickly. This is not just vortex sprockets, but most aluminum sprockets wear quickly due to the soft metal. They wear down to the point of needing to be changed out every 2500 to 6000 miles depending on the power of the engine, the ergos of the bike, and lastly, and more importantly, how you ride. For the 600cc swiss army bike area, most aluminum sprockets will last between 4500 and 6000 miles.

+1 thats what I have been told too. You can change the configuration of the sprockets with the 530 chain as well. Motorcyclesuperstore has those on sale.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
So after much frustration and additional tool purchasing (the people at VISA are gonna think Tim Taylor got hold of my credit card lol) I finally got my 520 chain and Vortex -1 front +2 rear sprockets up and running.....and man, what a difference!!! I was taking it easier at first, and then really opened her up, and much to my enjoyment the front end popped right up into a decent little wheelie without much effort! I've noticed the bike is WAY faster getting into the meat and potatoes of the powerband, certainly not a mod I would recommend for people who like to keep their revs low, but for us blasters in the group it is awesome. :rockon: Highly recommend to anyone looking to pick up low end torque and snappier throttle response. Only thing is, take it from me and pay the $20.00 or so to get the master link press plate tool, because three days of headaches from trying to ghetto-rig it cost me about that in Aspirin. Also installed my new front signals, oil filler cap, wheel stripes, and Clear Alternatives LED taillight, so I will try to post up some pics once I get a free min