4 fatal accidents invovling motorcycles in 3 days!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
4 fatal accidents involving motorcycles in 3 days!

During these past 3 days here in Las Vegas, it's been deadly to be on a bike. There have been four separate accident's involving a motorcyclist, with all the same outcome. R.I.P.

One really hit close to home yesterday as I left for work, the first major intersection that I come across going to work everyday was closed due to an accident. I later learned that it involved a motorcyclist, where a Hummer took away the rider's right away by taking a left hander at the intersection. Just because it was only a mile from home, and it happened about the same time I usually leave for work, many thought it was me. I noticed I had several messages on my cell phone when checked for my messages after work. On my way back home, as I came across that very same intersection, I gave my bike a few loud revs while I crossed the intersection for the fallen riders. I truly believe I have seen and acknowledged him many times on the way to work.

This morning, I noticed all of the markings on the roadway from the accident investigators. From what I noticed from those markings, I saw that the Hummer took a left hand turn and hit the motorcyclist on the right portion of the intersection. Meaning that the motorcyclist was travelling in the very right lane out of three going in the same direction.

I have always preached that in general, the right lane is the worst travel lane for too many reasons to list.

So in summary, two motorcyclist died yesterday, one the day before and just another one this morning. The latest accident appears to be the rider's fault as he slammed into the back end of a city bus. Once again, sounds like he was in the very right lane.

Make sure you all know How to Look and What to Look For everytime you get on your bike! It's the only way you're going to be able to avoid accidents like these.

Here's the news clip regarding all of the accidents. Warning, video may be disturbing.

Motorcyclist Killed in Collision with Bus - Las Vegas Now |

Last edited:

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site
we had a string of them here too

Yesterday I was on the freeway in the left lane. As the freeway was banking right the guy in the lane next to me (left middle lane) started merging into my lane, and since the whole freeway was bending right I didn't realize he was in my lane till he was almost half way in. Long story short I drifted into the shoulder, gave him the horn and gunned it. Then i gave him the middle finger and road on :Flip: .

When I realized he was in my lane i looked over and he wasn't even looking as he was merging over.... f$@#ing people.

anyway, a lot of dumb people out there

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man be careful out there Vegas, I know you ride everyday, we don't want to read about you in the news.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the issue i have with riding in the left lane is that on stretches of road without a barrier between you and oncoming traffic (i.e. 99% of roads) if someone were to not shoulder check and turn into your lane you get run into a head-on collision pretty quickly most of the time.

i ride in the right lane in these situations. i just keep an eye out for people turning right from intersections and parking lots and assume they will cut in front of me so slow down when i see someone looking to turn in. as for left hand turners i assume they will turn in front of me every time and react pre-emptively.

that is my solution anyway.

Very unfortunate for those individuals that passed though. Hopefully their families have good support.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh - we have had a rash here too. One involved a sport bike hitting the back of a truck. Luckily none involved fatalities.

Makes me be extra observant and careful on my rides.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the issue i have with riding in the left lane is that on stretches of road without a barrier between you and oncoming traffic (i.e. 99% of roads) if someone were to not shoulder check and turn into your lane you get run into a head-on collision pretty quickly most of the time.

i ride in the right lane in these situations. i just keep an eye out for people turning right from intersections and parking lots and assume they will cut in front of me so slow down when i see someone looking to turn in. as for left hand turners i assume they will turn in front of me every time and react pre-emptively.

that is my solution anyway.

Very unfortunate for those individuals that passed though. Hopefully their families have good support.

Lone, I'm sure your strategy is fine for your local area, as our roads and traffic here in Vegas is much different. The key here is you have acknowledged that you have a strategy, and it works.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
We've also had a rash of fatalities over the last week. It's been 4 or 5 here in East Tennessee, two up on the "Dragon". Most if not all of these have been rider error. One of the fatalities was a guy I worked with. His death really struck home with all of the riders I work with.

Let's keep this a safe and crash free July 4th weekend on the forum. Ride safe everyone! After all, the FZ6 and FZ6R are too good looking of bikes to get all scratched up if you can prevent it. :thumbup:

brady_cakes01

Reaction score
Visit site
Man I really hate to hear that. My best friend was killed when a simi truck ran a redlight due to his breaks not working (the driver knew they werent working and could have fixed them with a 30 dollar hose) on his bike. He was pined under the trailer tire. R.I.P. to all our fellow fallen rider:(

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas has some of the worst drivers in the western world. I've seen em'.

But this stuff can happen anywhere. I believe in the most dangerous riding is where you live due to complancency.

Stay sharp and alert people!

Last edited:

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost got hit by a car on my way home from work today just around the corner from my house simply because the driver failed to notice my bright red bike. Working in a store that sells riding gear has put me in contact with a lot of people who have stories of close friends involved in fatal accidents... Stay safe and vigilant out there. R.I.P to all of the fallen riders...

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike doesn't come out of the garage on holiday weekends.... It seems that holidays is code for everyone and anyone that is a idiot comes out..... Not just people driving but walking also.... There are way too many people that just do not belong in society.... Just the other day here a woman was hit in a cross walk by an elderly man in a car he was 86... Thing is he was only doing 20 mph... I have noticed a vast majority of people when crossing the road on cross walks take their sweet time and seem to look at the ground or cell phone etc... What is wrong with people!!!!!!!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to hear this kind of stuff but if one person learns from this and saves his/her own skin because of it.........we all need to learn from them. I agree with stay home on holiday weekends....especially ones where people drink themselves into oblivion. But if we were to avoid all risks we wouldn't ride at all.

Stay safe out there folks!

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I aggree Vegas is different place to ride....
There are more tourist driving then actually the local people + lots of taxis swirling around to inn & out hotel quickly....quite pack outthere...
Be safe outthere man....

Lone, I'm sure your strategy is fine for your local area, as our roads and traffic here in Vegas is much different. The key here is you have acknowledged that you have a strategy, and it works.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Frend of mine hit a truck last week, he's ok, but it reminded me to keep my head up at all times. oh yeah and atgatt :thumbup:

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
The holidays are notorious for accidents. I teach drivers ed and tell my students there are 3 classifications of drivers.

A. Bad drivers= They just can't drive I have no idea how they got a drivers license, they don't have the skills to be on the road but none the less they are watchout for numbskulls.:(

B. Great drivers = They talk on their cell phones, read a book or newspaper or eat a cheeseburger with one hand do everything but drive. They watch DVD's, play with the radio/CD/ipod instead of watching the road. The insurance companies hate them because they are accident prone. If you ask them they will tell you they are a great driver and don't need to have both hands on the wheel and they know it all.:thumbdown:

C. Good drivers = This group practices safety and obeys the rules of the road and takes every precaution necessary. They watch out for the other two classifications and practice defensive driving everyday. They know they need to be careful as much as possible and that anything can happen at anytime. that is why insurance companies give 'good driving discounts'.:rockon:

I try to be careful everday and do the best I can on these dangerous roadways. I know nothing is 100% safe but I try to do everything possible to avoid an accident. That's all we can do. Please be safe out there. I hope this helps and Happy Trails!:thumbup: