4 Degree Ignition Advancer Rotor Pick Up

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe if you were doing a mod that required a change in heat range of the plug but I think your good with the stock requirement/equivalent.

FWIW I'm running it at 6.5° and the stock plug never had any color (running too hot) so I have the CR10E single strap and runs clean too.

Mind you I have made a commitment to always run the highest octane fuel available.

Air box is opened.
Whole exhaust replaced
Bazzaz fuel controller running 12.8 to 13.0:1 AFR
Ignition advance at 6.5° which I must admit hoses up the idle stability.
16/48 Sunstar in the rear which is half the weight of the oem 46 sprocket.

Engine has block off plates as its running a Wide band data logger.

That's the just of it. Third gear pulls pretty well. That said a although being over-advanced at idle it doesn't produce any additional torque down low.

The fun factor has gone up a bit and she doesn't sound like a sewing machine any more!
An MP3 ride along.... https://m.soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/2015-07-12map4at130afr

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Advancing means more heat you mean?
So is it going to work leaner and hotter than before?
Is that why you increased fuel ratio using fuel controller. I don't have a fuel controller by the way, i hope i don't need it with 4 degrees advance.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bolt retaining the trigger wheel is easiest removed with an impact gun. The lok-tite was not friendly using hand tools alone even tho the torque value is really low.

Also here is the original thread on the trigger wheel and the math done to calculate the advance. Sadly this is just a bandaid to the real problem which is the ECU ignition map applied to 1st and 2nd gear. It gets better in 3rd through 5th but all are much less than the R6.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...-impact-winter-project-playing-w-trigger.html

One has to wonder if ECU unleashed would be willing to do a group buy at half the cost they proposed 6 years ago.
Like make some money now or take nothing at all.

For those concerned about harming the engine, I put some 18,000 miles on it like this. Don't exceed 6.5° and all is well.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fazil, the stock Fuel map on the bike is not linear on the S2. It varies from 14.5 to 13.5 and then back to 14.7 fro 3k to 12k. Because we are starting the burn sooner when we advance the trigger it is (at this amount 4°) burning more efficiently as it has more time before the exhaust valve opens dumping the spent gasses so it does increase the cylinder load hence risk of detonation if fuel quality is not met.

That said there is more thermal energy being retained in the combustion chamber. That doesn't have a 1:1 correlation with water jacket temperature jumping up as the cooling system does its job. But if your plugs retain no color and are white as when new I would go to 10E plugs which are 1 heat range cooler. No sense risking detonation and mine have never loaded up.

Make sense? Last thing, with so many additives in the fuel, plug reading is not what it was when running leaded gas so it can be decieving if an engine uses an oil at all.

Ignition map:
The big difference between this and the R6 map is they built it into the curve so the idle was not be impacted. We are simply cheating here as the cost is too ridiculous to fix it properly by remapping the ignition curve for all of the gears.

That said I'd pull two plugs now and get a color check. Run some hard pulls, cruise, maybe log an hours ride and pull them again. If everything is burned off, drop to a cooler plug in to be safe.

Remember my moto is keep it reliable. These boots are not meant for walking!

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Package arrived today... Much quicker than expected! While I haven't installed yet, thought I'd share the instructions that came in the package. Gave me a laugh!
87bd168620f798a589c84390daf3cf1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Package arrived today... Much quicker than expected! While I haven't installed yet, thought I'd share the instructions that came in the package. Gave me a laugh!
87bd168620f798a589c84390daf3cf1a.jpg

The old slap it on there get'er done!

FWIW I tried 1st gear and the brake, easy as its all on one side for single person to do, that said it's a ton easier with an impact gun.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: "Could someone explain this to a non-native speaker?" End quote

To make a post, you HAVE TO type something at least 10 characters long or it won't post.

You can just type additional "periods" to make the "minimum 10 characters needed" .

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey [MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION], did you ever install the new trigger wheel? Looking for some feedback

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey [MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION], did you ever install the new trigger wheel? Looking for some feedback

I did!

Throttle is a bit less twitchy. As for power, can't say there was a huge difference in 1st or second... But it definitely seems to pull harder in 3rd/4th.

I will say that I initially did not heed the advice of running a higher octane gas. There was no issue until hot summertime temps came, I noticed it would bog down often in low RPM's. Switched to 89 octane and haven't had the issue again.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Currently the additional cost of 92 octane fuel ups is less than a buck so this mod is completely worth it IMO.

The additional tone the exhausts makes won't be a disappointment either!

Let me see if I can't get a new audio clip....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use premium, so I am ready. One thing that I had not thought of and read in an older post of yours, is that it changed the injector timing as well. I thought I read that you added fuel. Do you have any recommendations based on your work?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The CPS signal is like one stop shopping so yes, that is correct it also alters the fuel timing but in a good way.
That said with batch injection, it's moot point as intake has a charge in it already.

So ya with waste spark (2 plugs fired for every combustion srtoke) and the group fired injectors, it really doesn't impact cylinder filling....

Yes, not long after doing the CO mod I picked up a fuel controller and wideband O2 data logger. With this I took tje fuel map from its unsteady state of 14 to 15:1 rocky course and made a map that fueled off idle to 13.5k that is pretty linear from 12.8 AFR @3k to 13.1 AFR @4500 up.
This with the exhaust mods S1 header, decat, 2bro's and it pulls pretty well. 1st will have the nose up and if bang 2ns in the sweet spot will keep there until it runs out of power which by then you're doing 80mph and need to steer!!! :don'tknow:

Let me know if you have a more specific question.

PS....
Fazils listing changed. Today this shows one left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Y034-YAMAH...-IGNITION-ADVANCER-ROTOR-PICK-UP/153461413061

If you have a vice, a file, a steady hand and some veneer calipers you can modify a stock one....

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing to worry about. I already have the wheel. Had some other mods and repaird to make, and I will only make 1 change at a time. Last repair was yesterday, so maybe next weekend. Can't wait.

Interested in your AFR logging. I have an S1 with stock drilled exhaust and a PCFC fuel controller. I plan on a decat with a bung, but i cannot find a way to log AFR and RPM. Last plan was to use an Innovate LM2 and try to find an inductive clamp for RPM. Then I installed the COP mod and now I have nothing to clamp to [emoji53]. Could probe a LT coil wire an build something with a PIC will be interface-able with the LM2, but like to hear what you or anyone else on the forum may have already done.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing to worry about. I already have the wheel. Had some other mods and repaird to make, and I will only make 1 change at a time. Last repair was yesterday, so maybe next weekend. Can't wait.

Interested in your AFR logging. I have an S1 with stock drilled exhaust and a PCFC fuel controller. I plan on a decat with a bung, but i cannot find a way to log AFR and RPM. Last plan was to use an Innovate LM2 and try to find an inductive clamp for RPM. Then I installed the COP mod and now I have nothing to clamp to [emoji53]. Could probe a LT coil wire an build something with a PIC will be interface-able with the LM2, but like to hear what you or anyone else on the forum may have already done.

I'm not sure where the recent fuel maps are from Crisis but here is one at post #76... Final Impact FZ6 Build Thread - If photobucket displays it. Seems to be visible ATM...

Thanks! ^^

This is just a short run of playing around town, but I usually average them out over 4 runs before making any adjustments to fueling.... Also getting about 40mpg on this map and it runs strong. I can live with this!
FWIW: when the throttle is abruptly closed the logger sees this a lean condition when its not. And the fact that its not under load (throttle is nearly closed), means its not huge deal or detrimental to the engines health. See red areas...

1.AFR.40minewCoils_zpstovofm7f.jpg

Anyone wanting the plug details from NGK - here it is! --> Page not found | NGK Spark Plugs
Yes, I went looking for a CR11E (pic below is CR10E).

Thread Diameter] C: 10 mm
Construction] R: Resistor Type
Heat Rating] 10: Heat Range (10 is cooler than 9)
Thread Reach] E: 19 mm (3/4”)

Firing End Construction] K: 2-Ground electrodes

Installed during valve check and have 3,000 miles on them. Never seen an engine burn so clean. Almost scary! This is methanol fuel @92 octane...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not sure where the recent fuel maps are from Crisis but here is one at post #76... Final Impact FZ6 Build Thread - If photobucket displays it. Seems to be visible ATM...

Thanks! ^^

This is just a short run of playing around town, but I usually average them out over 4 runs before making any adjustments to fueling.... Also getting about 40mpg on this map and it runs strong. I can live with this!
FWIW: when the throttle is abruptly closed the logger sees this a lean condition when its not. And the fact that its not under load (throttle is nearly closed), means its not huge deal or detrimental to the engines health. See red areas...

1.AFR.40minewCoils_zpstovofm7f.jpg

Anyone wanting the plug details from NGK - here it is! --> www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf
Yes, I went looking for a CR11E (pic below is CR10E).

Thread Diameter] C: 10 mm
Construction] R: Resistor Type
Heat Rating] 10: Heat Range (10 is cooler than 9)
Thread Reach] E: 19 mm (3/4”)

Firing End Construction] K: 2-Ground electrodes

Installed during valve check and have 3,000 miles on them. Never seen an engine burn so clean. Almost scary! This is methanol fuel @92 octane...