2nd Try - 2008 maybe on the horizon

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
So I contacted the owner of an 08 FZ on Feb 7 with a loose comment about loving his bike and needing to sell mine before buying. I thought his ad was honest (it's linked below). I heard back from him today - who knows maybe he's even a member here!

Anyway, money is tied up in my bike until I sell it - I wonder if I would be able to do some negotiation with this fellow.....

The bike is here:

2008 Yamaha FZ6 - PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE (5600 without GIVI SYSTEM) - City of Toronto Sport Touring Motorcycles For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Thought I'd ask the pros what they think of the bike. It's well used, but looks like it has been well taken care of. I have not seen it in person but would be willing if we could come to an agreement. I would be buying the bike and the bags.

Since previously getting my heart set on a steal of a deal 04, I have decided that it would only be an 07 or younger since it's the new gen styling. How much better are the 07's? Again, anything specific I should be looking for? How does the ad itself sit with you?

Thanks!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
07-09 FZs have 4 pot calipers instead of the older 2 pot calipers that came with the 04-06 models. Also, the newer generation FZs don't have any issues with the TPS, which was recalled for the 04-05 FZ6s. Nothing really specific to look for on these bikes, other than the general signs of wear (tires, look for scratches/damage, etc.) and maybe the steering head bearing (they can be prone to early failure on some of the FZ6s).

Other than that, everything looks good, other than the price being a little steep. You should be able to find a better deal if you look around.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Via email he told me he will be more flexible on the price if he sells it as a package. He invited me to come by and see it. To test his flexibility I asked if he was willing to accept an agreed amount up front to "hold" the bike. I know this is not really a smart move....I don't want to give him money and then never hear from the guy again. How would I be able to make this deal work? $4K is tied up in my bike in the garage.....I only have about $2K in cash to play with......

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
that bike with 32K on it is at least a grand over priced,
you should be able to find a much lower mileage 07-09 for less,
you can still get brand new 09's in Canada for 7K with warranty

a dealer and some short term financing is an option to get out
of that ninja 250 and into an FZ6 on your timetable

see here, brand new 09 for 7K, in Quebec: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/YAMAHA/F...894471_20110120063552556/?ms=motorcycles_atvs

FYI, NEUF=NEW

Last edited:

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya macem, I totally get ya. We did visit a couple dealerships regarding my bike a couple weeks ago and buying an FZ6R new, and everyone we saw just told us to sell it privately for more money. I have confidence it will sell - we get offers on it every day, I'm just not willing to give it away for all the low balls out there.

Thank you for both agreeing it's overpriced. If I saw it in person I should offer $5K WITH the bags? Somehow I doubt he'd go for it, but you never know. I did see a very similar 07 or 08 in Ottawa listed for $5200 without bags. I do appreciate your feedback.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
no problem my friend...that Givi setup is really expensive,
taxes in about 2K CDN for the 3 cases and mounts, so that
is definitely skewing the price...used that luggage is probably
still worth over a grand...taking that stuff off the bike and
looking at the year and mileage, I'd say that bike is worth
no more than $4500 with the high (for Canada) mileage,
if you really want that luggage and can work the guy down
quite a bit, there's nothing likely to be wrong with an FZ6