2013 California exhaust law

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As many have heard California law will require on or after Jan.1 2013, a certification on exhaust systems to meet EPA as well as sound decibel requirements. Other states will probably follow.

AMA on New California Exhaust Law - Motorcycle USA

I wondered what would happen to the aftermarket exhaust market and I just saw this Yoshimura ad in a bike magazine that answered that question.

It looks like the after market exhaust companies will vie to stay healthy and meet EPA sound (80 db) and include EPA certification labels.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Will existing aftermarket exhausts become illegal? Or are they grandfathered?

Edit: never mind, I read the article.
"requires street motorcycles registered in the state and built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to have an exhaust system label certifying the motorcycles meet federal sound limits"
"the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to display the EPA sound emissions label"

Sounds like you'll still be able to ride a bike built before 2013 with loud pipes.

Last edited:

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you'll still be able to ride a bike built before 2013 with loud pipes.

Isn't this exactly why the restriction is happening?
"Yup, she's my trusty shovelhead with two exhaust stacks from a '77 Peterbilt. 'JB Welded 'em mah-self!"

1001_stcp_01_z+1974_harley_shovelhead+right_side_view.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Will existing aftermarket exhausts become illegal? Or are they grandfathered?

They'll be grandfathered. The only thing we really have to worry about is revenues that can be had for over the decibel limit. That's something that has already started in some states.

I hear people whipping it all the time where I live and there's no reason to do that at every light. They really ensure the votes that have changed the law.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't this exactly why the restriction is happening?
"Yup, she's my trusty shovelhead with two exhaust stacks from a '77 Peterbilt. 'JB Welded 'em mah-self!"

1001_stcp_01_z+1974_harley_shovelhead+right_side_view.jpg

My bike is sort of loud but I ride it easy in traffic until I get out to the playground.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw article on approved Yoshi pipes for BMW s1000rr a little while ago in Motorcyclist. Dyno showed 10hp gain and it was totally legal :thumbup: and they said it sounded great too.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
California is usually leading the way for these regulations, so I wouldn't be surprised to see other states following suit. Frankly, I'm kind of glad to see this stuff. Those Harley straight pipes are really annoying. I like the deeper tone of aftermarket exhausts, but couldn't care less if they were any louder than stock.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So long as they're legal and still offer a performance gain, great. Not sure about the U.S., but here in Canada we're having issues with consistency for testing bikes with loud pipes. So a lot of the fines are being thrown out when fought...

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
So long as they're legal and still offer a performance gain, great.

Most of the aftermarket pipes offer little in the way of performance gains. Look at the dyno charts for FZ6 pipes... most of them result in small losses in power, not gains.

Aftermarket pipes are all about noise, not performance. Sport bike riders get them for the same reason that Harley riders do.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the aftermarket pipes offer little in the way of performance gains. Look at the dyno charts for FZ6 pipes... most of them result in small losses in power, not gains.

Aftermarket pipes are all about noise, not performance. Sport bike riders get them for the same reason that Harley riders do.

I think the aftermarket exhaust may make a difference when you tune the bike. They are lighter in weight and where the OEM exhaust weight is carried high in the FZ6 which also makes for a better more flickable bike when you go to a lighter set of cans and "Y" pipe. Other than than that you are correct! Now where are my leather chaps! :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
but wait.. 80db at what rpm level?? all??

I imagine there may be different criteria for measuring but I think there will be a standard distance and angle of the measuring device as well as a specific rpm.

It's still a good question because the operating frequency of sound as well as RPM would have to be considered say between a V-Twin and an inline 4 or 3 or 2 cylinder engine. I'm sure they'll come up with a standard and use instruments with High Q.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
For me quiet pipes are faster. When I had loud bikes I would usually shift early so I wouldn't bother people. And on long rides maybe not drive as fast because the sound would get annoying after a hour or two. I find with the stock FZ pipes I usually rev higher when shifting and cruise at 5 or 6k.

I also will never understand why most people with loud bikes mostly Harley's will sit at lights and keep twisting the throttle. Maybe they think everyone is impressed with the noise. But you know everyone in earshot is thinking "what a dunb@ss".

Anyone ever see that South Park episode with the Harleys?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me quiet pipes are faster. When I had loud bikes I would usually shift early so I wouldn't bother people. And on long rides maybe not drive as fast because the sound would get annoying after a hour or two. I find with the stock FZ pipes I usually rev higher when shifting and cruise at 5 or 6k.

I also will never understand why most people with loud bikes mostly Harley's will sit at lights and keep twisting the throttle. Maybe they think everyone is impressed with the noise. But you know everyone in earshot is thinking "what a dunb@ss".

Anyone ever see that South Park episode with the Harleys?

Brub brub brub brub brub brub brub!!!!! No.....:rof:
Bunch of FZ6 forum hoons.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8q5uc_3mK8]YouTube - ‪Brub brub brub brub brub brub‬‏[/ame]

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I had a neighbor years ago every morning at 6:30 I would hear his Harley. I swear it would be saying "potato-patato-patato-patato-patato"

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
H-D riders are partially to blame for sure, but the 'other' bike market is guilty too where manufacturers have constantly marketed these pipes with no regard to the noise level. In fact, noise level was almost a selling factor. They have been warned for years to tone it down but no one wanted to be the first to kill his business, so CA has ruined it for them. Most aftermarket pipes do squat as far as performance is concerned, even with a sharp tune the effect on the street is minimal. H-D riders and sportbike squids put aftermarket pipes on for the same reason.....to make NOISE in the belief that if it sounds louder it must mean it is faster. And let's not forget the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" contingent who think obnoxious pipes are a safety factor. Oh, well ..... it won't be the last time a group has sh** in their own messkit. And as CA goes so goes the entire industry.....these guys will make a product for CA that will be the defacto standard for their entire line. Some of the less capitalized outfits will just fold their tent and blow away.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
California is usually leading the way for these regulations, so I wouldn't be surprised to see other states following suit. Frankly, I'm kind of glad to see this stuff. Those Harley straight pipes are really annoying. I like the deeper tone of aftermarket exhausts, but couldn't care less if they were any louder than stock.

+1....This.

Tone over volume any day. :thumbup: