2009 R6 Front End Project Complete.

C

CoolATIGuy

Wow, $1700+ plus all the time and effort involved? Is it really not worth just getting an R6...?

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, $1700+ plus all the time and effort involved? Is it really not worth just getting an R6...?

To be entirely fair, this thread is roughly two years old and represents probably the extreme case for swapping in an R6/R1 front end. I completed the swap on my bike using a stock R6 steering tube, with zero machining needed for less than $500. Others have completed the swap with varying levels of machining or swapping of steering tubes required.

C

CoolATIGuy

Why are some having to machine while others aren't? (sorry if that was already answered, I haven't read every post :)

And I'm not quite sure how designating the post as 2 years old makes the swap price more fair...even with fuel prices I'm pretty sure inflation hasn't hit that bad yet. ;)

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are some having to machine while others aren't? (sorry if that was already answered, I haven't read every post :)

Initially, it was overlooked that All Balls had a handy chart that listed all compatible bearings for a given bike. That is, if your bike has a head tube that takes 48mm OD upper bearings, and 52mm OD lower bearings, they have a variety of bearings with the same OD, but different ID. This allows you to potentially keep the steering tube of the running gear you're swapping in, assuming it has enough length to clear the top clamp and allow the top nut to thread securely. Though I'm sure it was done before, I had not seen anybody approach the swap this way, so I tried it. And it worked! I had previously tried a swap using GSX-1000R running gear based on another forum members post, and the steering tube and axle presented issues I didn't wish to deal with.

And I'm not quite sure how designating the post as 2 years old makes the swap price more fair...even with fuel prices I'm pretty sure inflation hasn't hit that bad yet. ;)

Prices for these parts have actually come down. They're becoming more and more common on eBay as the model year of parts that will work gets older and older (and we see more salvaged bikes.) If you look on eBay right now, you can get almost everything you need for $300ish, leaving you $200 to figure out bar risers, a fender, and miscellaneous.