2007 Yamaha FZ6 (533 miles)

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Shink again...lol. Jk, had to.

I guess they're so cheap because they're manufactured then imported from Korea instead of made here?

I did some research and read up on the company. Shinko is a japanese company that's been around since after WWII. I guess at some point they bought motorcycle tire molds and tech from Yokohama, then started producing the tires in Korea to keep costs down. So, Japanese owned and Japanese tech, made in Korea.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did some research and read up on the company. Shinko is a japanese company that's been around since after WWII. I guess at some point they bought motorcycle tire molds and tech from Yokohama, then started producing the tires in Korea to keep costs down. So, Japanese owned and Japanese tech, made in Korea.
Same here, I looked them up to figure out why they were so cheap (was thinking they were chinese)

Korean made is fine, I mean Hankook tires are supposed to be great and I believe they're also Korean made.

I will be putting Dunlops on my bike sometime this season (still rocking the OEMs too), but I wasn't able to get a clear answer where they were made....guess I can just go in my closet and look but that'd be too easy lol

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
I would even be ok with them being made in China as long as it was still Japanese specs and technology. The price alone caught my attention, but I think all the positive reviews really tipped the scale for me. I'm not a super experienced rider by any means so I won't have much to compare them too, I just wanted to replace these 9 year-old stockers on my 2007. :)

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
make this simple,,,Shinko v.s Michelin ,,how much will you save? $200 over right?

(sorry, not to offend to anyone's) is your life = $200 saved dollar? :eek: Good luck!

I know it was expensive but the trusted brand gives me better confidence and better chance to survive.

And yes, it happened once, my front is on PR3, rear is on PR4. I braked (both brakes) and skidded 8 feet! I didn't want to think what if it would have been different brand..

https://youtu.be/9UbRQXNnB-Q

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Without an equal side-by-side comparison test, you can't claim, or even assume saving $200 means your life will be more at risk going with a cheaper tire. Michelin makes quality stuff, and nobody ever said they didn't. However, you do not get twice the quality, twice the safety, or twice the value for double the price. Would braking differences be slightly better on a Michelin vs a shinko? I would hope so. By a couple feet maybe. But 200% better? No.

I would love to slap a set of PR4's on my bike and have that expensive tire peace of mind, but it just isn't an option at this point. I either had to spring for a cheaper option, ride on the stock BT020's, or not ride at all. 9/10 reviews of the shinko tires are very positive, so i'm confident I made a "safe" choice.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Without an equal side-by-side comparison test, you can't claim, or even assume saving $200 means your life will be more at risk going with a cheaper tire. Michelin makes quality stuff, and nobody ever said they didn't. However, you do not get twice the quality, twice the safety, or twice the value for double the price. Would braking differences be slightly better on a Michelin vs a shinko? I would hope so. By a couple feet maybe. But 200% better? No.

I would love to slap a set of PR4's on my bike and have that expensive tire peace of mind, but it just isn't an option at this point. I either had to spring for a cheaper option, ride on the stock BT020's, or not ride at all. 9/10 reviews of the shinko tires are very positive, so i'm confident I made a "safe" choice.
+1, though he didn't say 200% improvement I agree with most of what you said in that the Shinkos are worlds better than highly aged factory tires. I wish there was a user that has used both of them and done rigorous testing in a controlled manner so that it can quantified just how much better the Michelins are with concrete data.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
+1, though he didn't say 200% improvement I agree with most of what you said in that the Shinkos are worlds better than highly aged factory tires. I wish there was a user that has used both of them and done rigorous testing in a controlled manner so that it can quantified just how much better the Michelins are with concrete data.

Oh I know he never said 200% improvement, I was just making a point since there was a 2x price difference. I have every intention of running PR4's or something similar when money allows it, but it's not like i'm going to be at a disadvantage or putting myself in a dangerous position by running a cheaper tire in the meantime.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I know he never said 200% improvement, I was just making a point since there was a 2x price difference. I have every intention of running PR4's or something similar when money allows it, but it's not like i'm going to be at a disadvantage or putting myself in a dangerous position by running a cheaper tire in the meantime.
Yep, the naysayers need to look at the reality of the situation...far newer "economy" tires versus super hardened old tires.

I lucked out on Dunlop Q2s for $150 for the set a couple months back which'll go on sometime this season to replace my ancient OEM tires as well but I would probably consider the Shinkos otherwise, unless PR2/3/4s went on a significant enough of a sale

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
budget tires are fine for street riding and speeds over 100mph. my Contimotions exhibit good grip and handling for daily commuting and aggressive lean angles when needed. good in the wet, never failed me

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
You know, my dealer actually quoted me a set of Conti Motions for like $15 more than the Shinkos, and I still went with the Shinkos based on reviews alone. I don't know why, but there were much more positive reviews on the Shinkos. Maybe people expected more out of a name brand? I don't know. Either way, I'm sure i'll be happy. I am a very casual, and still very new, rider and just want treadlife, comfort, and overall value. If I were planning on doing track days or riding aggressively, I definitely would have gotten a different tire.

Still, it's good to know the Conti Motions are solid for casual use if I'm ever in a jam and need a locally available tire asap.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
You know, my dealer actually quoted me a set of Conti Motions for like $15 more than the Shinkos, and I still went with the Shinkos based on reviews alone. I don't know why, but there were much more positive reviews on the Shinkos. Maybe people expected more out of a name brand? I don't know. Either way, I'm sure i'll be happy. I am a very casual, and still very new, rider and just want treadlife, comfort, and overall value. If I were planning on doing track days or riding aggressively, I definitely would have gotten a different tire.

Still, it's good to know the Conti Motions are solid for casual use if I'm ever in a jam and need a locally available tire asap.
i'm going to see about the shinkos myself this next go around. if they're practical to get shipped to my dealer, and priced right. maybe he has them in stock? last time the lowest cost tires he had were the conti's. someone posted $153 a set for the conti's, earlier. a bit less than i paid last time. i like that price

but treadlife on the shinkos seem to be better according to reports. over 10,000 miles from what i've read. i like that so would like to try 'em. i reject the notion that a value tire is less safe then a costlier one. they might be less other things, but so far as dangerous to ride on? doubt it tbh