2007 GSX-R 750 personal ride review

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, WOW! but there are many things to appreciate when it comes to our beloved FZ6. I know there are a lot of threads about r1's and bigger bikes so I wanted to throw my thoughts out there.

Now I have never ridden a liter bike. And by that I mean a 1000cc RR bike. (cruisers don't count) so this is my first in this power range. the gsxr 750 is about 150hp and a ton of torque. oddly enough the only RR's ive taken out for a ride longer than an hour were yamaha's. a 01 and 05 r6.

I'll tell my story and then list the pros and cons

a friend and i rode up the sea to sky highway in bc yesterday. got to
squamish, switched bikes and rode back.

now this thing hauls. i can pull from 4000-5000rpm and it feels like what the FZ6 will do at 6000-8000. and in overall performance taking the bike to 10000rpm feels like the FZ using all its powerband. Lets not forget the 750 redlines at 15000rpm. i cant remember what gear i was in but on the highway within such a short distance i hit 245km/h and it felt like it wasnt trying and had much more to go. this bike has gobs of power. more than youd ever need on the street and unless you were a pro, more than you could handle on a track.

handling in the twisties took some getting used to as it initially felt like it wasnt as flickable as the FZ6. it took more effort for initial turn in. but once leaned over it felt so much tighter and so much more stable.

when i got back on my FZ i noticed how soft it was and how (with lack of a better word) loose. BUT when i was riding up there with him I was amazed how i could keep up and even make ground in the corners. with 150hp on tap youre a little reluctant to open her up too soon coming out of the corner especially on a highway. but with the FZ you can pretty much go from keeping good speed around the corner to using all 96hp very soon in the exit.

so a little comparison list.

2007 GSX-R 750

Best engine. power everywhere

light and manageable (apparently it uses the 600 chassis)

forks and shock are night and day to the FZ (thats obvious but even after the thicker oil and shimmed springs I want more out of the FZ)

riding position like any other RR. uncomfortable for long distances

looks and sounds badass

takes a lot of skill to ride it at its potential.

2007 FZ6

engine isnt given enough credit (more than enough on the street when used correctly and fun as hell)

comfortable touring riding position that can be switched to a lets lean over and go fast position pretty quick.

good handling combined with a engine thats not to overpowering means you can ride quickly with confidence.

Looks great

sounds like poo :p

There is probably more I could say but I can leave that up for discussion. all i learned was what i already know. I dont need a RR liter bike, i couldnt use a RR liter bike, i dont want a RR liter bike and im not going to get a RR liter bike.

FZ1 for sure though :)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
since i have dropped my fz6 on each side, i shudder to think about ever having a bike with the exhaust on the side as opposed to under the seat. i think with my track record i better stay with the fz6, but the fz1 is a real nice looking bike.

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
The gsxr and the fz6 are 2 totally different bikes aimed at 2 totally different sectors of the bike market

We as the owners can mostly only own 1 bike so we have to decide what sector we wish to go for and but that style of bike, unfortunatley that means a scratching bike is not great for touring and a touring bike is not great at scratching

The Fz6 fazer I see as a sports tourer as my last bike the sv1000s was, sort of in the middle and can be made to scratch better with suspension tweeks

I am fortunate in that we [wife]as a couple own 2 bikes, both the bikes you mention so I get to use these bikes depending on the type of riding im doing unless we go out together

I like them both but for the different jobs they do and they both do those admirably

A street bike always feels easier o drop in as ur centre of gravity is higher making it easier to lean

BUT a lot can come down to the rider and u sound like u know how to hustle any bike to keep up with a sportsbike, a good rider can get the best out of any bike

At the weekend i was doing a trackday on my 98 zx6r and kept getting asked if the bike was race prepared as the 1000's were having difficulty keeping up but its as standard as they come, its just i kept the corner speed up and was happy to wind it on earlier than the 1000's who were scared of highsiding

Glad u liked the gixxer

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
you my friend have the best of both worlds. having both bikes would be the only way i would own a sportbike. never would i have one as my sole bike unless i used it for the track more often than not.

i guess my whole point i was trying to get across was that we own FZ6's and wanting to trade it up for a bigger, faster, stronger bike(600rr's, 1000rr's) defeats the whole purpose we chose our bikes. yeah the gixxer is sweet. you can go wrong with any of them really but for the street you wont enjoy it as much as you enjoy the FZ6. or at least thats the way i feel.

driving a ferrari in stop and go traffic would ruin the joy of actually "driving" a ferrari. ;)