2007 fz6 not charging ?

chadindivero

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 yamaha fz6, It was nice weather out a few weeks ago, i tried to roll start my bike down a hill, and it did not work. So I jump started it with a car. and that still did not work. I replaced the battery, and drove it till it died. it seemed the battery was not charging so I replaced the rectifier and stator... and my battery is still not charging?

any ideas of what else it could be ?

I almost feel the new stator does not put out enough power? i got it from electrosport? has anyone had issues with their stators before?
-Chad

Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

I have a 2007 yamaha fz6, It was nice weather out a few weeks ago, i tried to roll start my bike down a hill, and it did not work. So I jump started it with a car. and that still did not work. I replaced the battery, and drove it till it died. it seemed the battery was not charging so I replaced the rectifier and stator... and my battery is still not charging?

any ideas of what else it could be ?

I almost feel the new stator does not put out enough power? i got it from electrosport? has anyone had issues with their stators before?
-Chad

When I had my CBF Honda collection I used to deal a lot with electrosport. Some in the CBF community felt that electrosport was junk, but I never had a problem with their stators or rotors. I never used one of their R/Rs though, I got my R/R from oregonmotorcycleparts.com. Electrosport has a troubleshooting guide on their website that is worth a ton as far as diagnosing problems.

Electrosport Guide

I've used that guide more than a few times to track down problems. With charging systems, its almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. My best advice to you is to get a quality multimeter a no crap known good battery and start from the beginning.

p.s. I can say that the one time I did have to return a rotor, their customer service was great. So if you find that your new R/R is bad, you shouldn't have a problem returning it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

The best advice I could give is to see if these units are performing correctly.

1st I would like to tell you that if you jump and bike from a car, it can toast your regulator/rectifier. Minimal current from any car alternator has got to be near 60 amperes of charging current. The bike's stator is no where near that and the regulation is performed by shunting the additional current through the heat sink and dissipating it as heat. This is called , "shunt regulation" The shunt regulator can not dissipate what the car alternator puts out. You can jump the bike from a car but leave the car motor off!

As with many electrical problems, check your wiring and connections. Look at the pins in the plugs to make sure they haven't failed because of overheating or corrosion.

If you're just tooling around and don't get the engine much above 2000 RPM you'll find there is little charging. The FZ6 likes to be run. You should see 14 VDC at 5,000 RPM :D

The stator can be tested with an ohm meter.
There is a plug to the stator with 3 white wires. Set your ohm meter to x1 range. You should get .22 to .34 ohms when testing between any of the three legs on the the stator.

Maybe we can help answer some of these questions and get you up and running again! :D

Here's a PDF to start with...

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
My dads 5eb r6 recently broke down because of a charging system fault.

We found that the connector in the r/r plug, the one for the live feed from the r/r to the main fuse was burnt, replaced the spade connector in the plug and she was charging properly once more!

Also worth looking for burnt wires as this is another common fault on the 5eb r6 (believe its charging system is very similar to the FZ6's)

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

chadindivero

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the resistance from the stator and im getting around .5 ohms.... that seems way to high of resistance to what yamaha requires.... or do u think that little difference would not cause a problem?

I also got a genuine yamaha r/r not a electorsport, although i did use a new electrosport stator.... I checked the wires to see if any were getting grounded out some how with the sound test on my multimeeter and none seemed to be bad...

also do you think it could of messed up the solenoid where the wires go above the battery where the main 30 am fuse is... the fuse is fine, but im not sure if it could of fried something inside it.. i think its the starter solenoid ? would that stop it from charging ?

Last edited: