2006 Yamaha FZ6 - Looking to buy

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding motorcycles for a few years. My first bike was a 2009 SV650S, which I loved. I sold that April 2013 (was moving out of state and used the money for a down payment on a new car).

I'm looking to get another motorcycle to commute to work and maybe take out on the weekends. I really love the new 2014 FZ-09 (although I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford that for a few years haha)

So I'm looking for a bike that's similar to my SV I had, and that doesn't cost too much. I found a 2006 FZ6 on craigslist. It looks to be in great condition and it has low miles. The KBB/NADA value matches what he's asking. His statement on the ad is: "For sale is a 2006 blue Yamaha FZ6 with 6677 miles on it. Motorcycle is in great condition and runs perfect. Also 2 XL alpine star jackets and a L bell vortex helmet included. This is a great bike and priced right."

He said he's not in a hurry to sell it and he's selling it because he bought his parents farm and needs the money for a utility tractor or ATV.

He also said he's pretty firm on his price. To me, as long as everything checks out, the price doesn't seem that bad. But I was searching on this forum and it seems like people were paying $3500 for a bike like this in 2012...and it's 2014 now.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. What do you guys think a good price for this is?

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: from Texas:cheer:

$3500 will get you a nice S2 07, 08 with low miles in Texas.

Good luck and take your time. A good deal will fall in your lap. Have cash in hand. Money talks.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: aboard! Good luck and hope you find you find a good bike by spring :)

Sorry about not checking out the rules prior to posting.

:welcome: from Texas:cheer:

$3500 will get you a nice S2 07, 08 with low miles in Texas.

Good luck and take your time. A good deal will fall in your lap. Have cash in hand. Money talks.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

So what would you guys say is a reasonable price for the bike I described in my OP? Thanks!

Last edited:

Somebuddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the price depends a lot on location. For this reason I feel it may be hard to put a price on a bike in Michigan unless you live in Michigan and know the going price. For example I paid $3450 for my 2006 with 6,900 miles. This was a fair price here, but maybe in Texas that is too high to pay and in Hawaii that may too low.

That being said, I'd think you have the advantage here as he is trying to sell a motorcycle, in Michigan, in the winter. In my opinion $3500 would be a fine price to pay for such a great bike as long as it is in good condition. Maybe with cash you can talk him down a bit, especially if you already have your own gear and don't need his.

Good luck with the purchase and if you feel it's too expensive and he won't budge, wait it out, there's always another one!

By the way, welcome to the FZ6 world!

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
It depends on weather you want an 06. Personlly, if I get another FZ6 it will be an 06. I like the black engine/black frame, and the fairing on the 06 is different from the 04-05. I also prefer the 04-06 to the 07-09.

I have been looking on and off around here for an 06, but they're kinda scarce for the price range you're talking about ($3500). There are a few for $4400-$4800 with lower miles.

Good luck hunting, you will NOT be disappointed in an FZ6, best bike I've ridden for the price.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our big awesome family!

I don't know where you will find a better, all round, solid bike for the money.

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought mine last May, used. Had 1200 miles on it and was an 06. Just had two light scuffs that weren't noticeable unless you were looking hard and that was it. 3800 was what I paid if that gives you some perspective.

The 06 is a great bike, though I would change out the stock exhaust when you get the money, as its pretty quiet with stock pipes.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought mine last May, used. Had 1200 miles on it and was an 06. Just had two light scuffs that weren't noticeable unless you were looking hard and that was it. 3800 was what I paid if that gives you some perspective.

The 06 is a great bike, though I would change out the stock exhaust when you get the money, as its pretty quiet with stock pipes.

Hmm, thanks for the post. That does give me some good perspective.

I appreciate all the other posts as well, you guys are giving me some good information to think about.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd hold out for an S2 for $3500 if it were me. If you came to me with cash in hand, and I had a bike just sitting in the winter weather, I'd take the cash all day long.:rockon:

Get an S2, it's the best 600cc ever.:thumbup:

Even better if you find the faster red color.:cheer:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the thread!! I'd have to agree with most of the guys here. Hold out for an S2 with low miles for around 3500. I think i may know a guy local to me selling his 07 blue. If your interested in a hike LMK and I'll get you the specs.

I do know the bike is perfect and he has added a windscreen and exhaust.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd hold out for an S2 for $3500 if it were me. If you came to me with cash in hand, and I had a bike just sitting in the winter weather, I'd take the cash all day long.:rockon:

Get an S2, it's the best 600cc ever.:thumbup:

Even better if you find the faster red color.:cheer:

lol you guys really aren't making this easy on me! The differences between the 06, 07 models aren't too much of a deal-breaker. I do like a few of the updates however. I'm just not sure if I'd ever be able to come across an S2 that's clean and low miles around my area for $3500.

There's only one other local ad at the moment and it's for a 2006 FZ6, super clean, 4100 miles, guys asking $4200 obo.

Welcome to the thread!! I'd have to agree with most of the guys here. Hold out for an S2 with low miles for around 3500. I think i may know a guy local to me selling his 07 blue. If your interested in a hike LMK and I'll get you the specs.

I do know the bike is perfect and he has added a windscreen and exhaust.

That might be too much of a drive for me...but you never know.

I'm still going to check it out today around 1pm. He said he is pretty firm on the price and not in a hurry to sell, but I'm gonna see if he'd take $3000 and he can keep his gear. If not, I'll probably have to pass for now..

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $3700 for a 07 super clean, 7k on the clock, and two brothers.

The S2 was a deal breaker foe me. The S2 is a better bike. The S2 is the BEST 600cc ever.

It's early. Take your time, and you'll be glad you did.

Maverickv46

Reaction score
Visit site
I held out and found a 2007 S2 in Michigan with 5500 miles for $2500. New tires, brake pads, chain, the usual and it was good to go!

Recently (a few months) I saw another 07 S2 somewhere in MI for $2200. 7000 miles, needed clutch plates and a rear tire, Ill see if I can find it again.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
hey Nick, what part of michigan are you from?

Ann arbor area.

I held out and found a 2007 S2 in Michigan with 5500 miles for $2500. New tires, brake pads, chain, the usual and it was good to go!

Recently (a few months) I saw another 07 S2 somewhere in MI for $2200. 7000 miles, needed clutch plates and a rear tire, Ill see if I can find it again.

That's crazy cheap. I found another ad on craigslist (southern ohio). It's for an 07 FZ6, 2800 miles, looks very clean (better than the one in the OP). He's asking $4000, if I can talk him down to $3500 I think it'd be a great deal.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
So I checked out the 2006 FZ6 described in the OP a few hours ago. It looked alright. The front tire needs replaced and the rear doesn't have a ton of life left..

It also looks like it was dropped at low speed too. The right brake handle, right side of the top fairing and the turn signal were scratched up pretty good. Everything else looked in order.

He said he would take $3000 cash. I told him I still would like to see it drive and make sure everything is in check.

In the meantime I was able to get ahold of another guy selling a clean 2007 FZ6. with low miles. He's asking $4000, after a little bit of texting he said he would take $3500 for it, but had another guy look at it the other day who's interested as well. And I wouldn't be able to make the trip to see it until this weekend.

Decisions, decisions, haha.

Thanks for the other comments everyone!

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
]

A tid bit higher on miles, but these motors should be good to go for a while.

I would edit out that link, they don't allow CL links here.

Thanks for the link though, I actually will be checking out a 2007 with 2800 miles this weekend :)

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think $3500 seems like a fair price provided it is in excellent shape and has not been dropped. It seems like here in Michigan bikes for whatever reason go for more than the Blue Book value, especially at a dealer. And in another month it will be very hard to find a nice bike for a good price as it may not seem like it now but spring is coming. Also I would not put any value on the extras he says he is providing. Unless the helmet is less than 2 or at most 3 years old your going to want to get a new one. I would want a new one anyway since you don't know where it has been or if it's been dropped. Maybe off him $3400 and he can keep the helmet.