2006 Over Heating

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I was at home taking pics instead of sitting at my desk...

The overflow that it was coming out of is on the right side of the bike about the center stand area. I had it on the center stand last night, and it would flow out on the cross bar...

The puzzling part is the overflowing AFTER I turn the bike off. I know that the coolant will actually get hotter after the bike was shut off since it isn't flowing through the radiator, but it is less than a minute after the bike turns off. It flowed both times for 5-7 seconds (about a cup) and then was done.

I am puzzled and appreciating all of your help...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Is the bike actually overheating? Does the temperature gauge ever indicate that the bike is too hot?

The coolant puking is definitely a problem, but just because it's puking doesn't necessarily mean that it's overheating.

How full is the bike's coolant reservoir after a ride?

When the bike is cold, how full is it? And also check the coolant level in the radiator while the bike is cold.

When it's puking coolant, I'd expect the reservoir to be full.
When the bike is cold, I'd expect the reservoir to be half full or less, and the radiator should be full to the top.

If the radiator has air in it when it's cold, then you've got a leak in the hose running from the radiator to the reservoir under the seat.

If the radiator is full and the reservoir is full when the bike is cold, then you've just got too much coolant in the bike.

Fred

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The puzzling part is the overflowing AFTER I turn the bike off. I know that the coolant will actually get hotter after the bike was shut off since it isn't flowing through the radiator, but it is less than a minute after the bike turns off.

Anyone with an 07+ can confirm this. We have a digital temp gauge, and we can watch as the temperature spikes by 20 degrees in the minutes after shutdown. It's normal for these bikes.

Fred

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
It shows 4 out of 6 bars on the temp gauge.

When I first saw the problem, the bike was still hot and there did not appear to be any fluid in the resevior. When it cooled down and I looked in the radiator, it is full.

It just seems weird that I have ridden it for 1200 miles this year and this is the first time it happened. You would think that if I was too full of coolant it would have happened before now...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It shows 4 out of 6 bars on the temp gauge.

When I first saw the problem, the bike was still hot and there did not appear to be any fluid in the resevior. When it cooled down and I looked in the radiator, it is full.

Could you verify that statement? When the bike was hot and leaking coolant, the reservoir was empty?

If so, the reservoir has a leak in it, or the hose between it and the radiator is leaking or disconnected.

It just seems weird that I have ridden it for 1200 miles this year and this is the first time it happened. You would think that if I was too full of coolant it would have happened before now...

Yeah, but now it's summer.

Fred

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally figured it out. It has been driving me :banghead:

I was looking at the complete cooling system last night, cause it did the whole coolant piss on me again. I was looking at where the overflow reservoir line cam out of, and it didn't make much sense. But of course I left my laptop at work and that has the manual saved on it...

So I looked this morning and the reservoir line is swapped with the water pump breather hose. :cheer:

I am wondering why the previous owner did this... Maybe just a mistake?

I will fix it over lunch, and see if there is a difference, but I am guessing a huge one.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
So I looked this morning and the reservoir line is swapped with the water pump breather hose. :cheer:

I am wondering why the previous owner did this... Maybe just a mistake?

Dumb mistake is my guess. I took a look at my bike to see what you were talking about, and wow, no wonder!

First off, that hose from the pump is to burp any air out of it so it doesn't get vapor locked.

Second, by connecting it to the reservoir, the cooling system is no longer pressurized, so the coolant will boil at a lower temperature.

So, the coolant boils, creating steam. And the steam expands, pushing coolant out into the reservoir, making the reservoir overflow.

Luckily, that same overflow kept your pump from vapor locking, which would have really sucked.

The symptoms match the problem you found, so I expect your next post will be that the bike's running happily again. Good find!

Fred

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
i am having the same problem on my 08 FZ6. Did the hose switch work out for you?

If no one has messed with your bike, I don't think it likely your hoses are misplaced.

With the bike completely cold, look at the level of coolant in your overflow tank. It should be at the lower mark.

The 'catch bottle' is there to give the coolant somewhere to go when it expands with heat. It gets pushed out of the radiator, into the bottle.

With the engine at OPERATING TEMP, look at the level of coolant in your overflow tank. It should be at the upper mark.

If the tank is too full, (i.e., at the upper mark with the engine cold......) your bike will 'pee' the excess, that the catch bottle cannot hold.

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
Flushed the coolant system... Problem solved. She hasn't overheated in over a year.:rolleyes:

If no one has messed with your bike, I don't think it likely your hoses are misplaced.

With the bike completely cold, look at the level of coolant in your overflow tank. It should be at the lower mark.

The 'catch bottle' is there to give the coolant somewhere to go when it expands with heat. It gets pushed out of the radiator, into the bottle.

With the engine at OPERATING TEMP, look at the level of coolant in your overflow tank. It should be at the upper mark.

If the tank is too full, (i.e., at the upper mark with the engine cold......) your bike will 'pee' the excess, that the catch bottle cannot hold.

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine started overheating again this summer. Found out the fan wasn't coming on. Ended up replacing the front relay, and she is ready to ride again.