2006 FZ6 Question

SpectreRX8

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first time posting on the forums so I apologize if this isn't the specific place for this thread.

But, I'm looking to buy an FZ6 - I wanted the R, but not for the price to get them.I'm going to be using this as a casual commuter bike and weekend cruiser with a friend who has an SV650. But, I have a limited budget to work with.

The bike is on craigslist, it's a 2006 Metallic Red FZ6 with 19,900 miles. Im buying it from the original owner, it's registered till 2011 and has "had all maintenance done on the bike".He's originally wanted 3000, I offered 2500 due to the budget, and he countered with 2700.

Regardless of the $2500/2700 offers, is the bike worth buying for that much, with that many miles? What should I be on the look out for with these bikes (any known problems/issues)?

I've attached the only two photos available to me at the moment.

Any in all help, advise, or comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

$2700 isn't bad for an 06. I just bought my 2005 with 17k miles for $3000.

:welcome: Sounds like a great deal and in my personal opinion you would prefer this bike over the FZ6R:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16980-buy-fz6.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-news/29073-fz6r-review-light-fz6.html

Ditto, much better bike than the FZ6R. Better built and more power.

If it is stock, it isn't a bad bike to learn on. Very docile and tame under 5500 RPM and very rideable in that range. Goes like a raped ape from 6000 RPM up to 12,000 RPM. I just paid $4000 for an 05 but it had a lot of mods and 2,800 miles. It was / is basically a new bike.

I'd be surprised if your bike didn't hold it's value ($2500 or so) for the next few years. Bikes don't drop much below 2K if they are kept well. I just sold a 93' shadow for $2,300 about 2 months back.

$2700 is okay if the tire is okay.

Question is? How old are the tires? I imagine it might be on it's 2nd set with 19K?

The tires need to be replaced after two or three years max regardless of the amount of tread. They start to lose their grip. It's rubber. Yeah car tires go longer, but you have four of them. Traction is critical.

A new set will run you about $350, keep that in mind.

+1 on the FZ vs the FZR.

The FZ6 & SV650 are very similar, but you will have more power and higher end.

Well this would be my first bike, and before anyone says anything, yes I read the massively long post in the New Riders section. ;)

Its between this, and an '01 Ninja EX500 that Ive been riding around previously on (its my friends with the SV that he's trying to sell me for 1500).

Regarding the tires... the back tire is new. Nothing mentioned about the front.

Also a new battery.

At that price, you can't go wrong.
If you buy the bike, be careful if the back tire is REALLY new because new motorcycle tires will slide around on you until they are "scrubbed in".

That's a great deal. I bought my 2005 from a dealer for around $3500, cost me just over $4,000 after tax, title, fees, etc. I would jump on it. The Fz6 is a great bike because it's a sporty, beastly 600 when you want it to be and an extremely comfortable daily driver when you dont. With a little work you can turn it into a around-town loud, mean sportbike, or you can make it ridiculously comfortable for long commutes. It really is the perfect all-around machine. I had to choose between the Fz6, a CBR 600, and a GSXR. I was about to get the CBR, but I sat on the Fz6 again I was really torn. The 22 year old in me that wanted a straight up crotch rocket wanted the CBR, but the tiny little voice inside of me that's sort of a mature adult talked me into getting the Fz6 :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm glad I did. I pull up next to kids on their GSXR 600s and give them a run for their money when I want to, and I can also ride 100 miles without wanting to kill myself. It really is one hell of a machine, and that's a hell of a deal. Assuming everything checks out and he has all of the documentation I would jump on that ASAP, because if you don't I promise somebody else will ;)

the price seems very good for this 06. as said check that papers are in order and if possible take a friend or a trusted mechanic who s into motorcycles to check that the engine and running gear run smooth. the fz is more powerful than the ninja 500 or sv 650, the sv has more bottom end but the fz beats in the top end (note the fz is not that weak bottom end the sv just pulls harder) you wont outgrow it easily. the other posters have already highlighted the advantages of the fz, all i want to add is treat it with respect.

WOW! I was actually just looking for a motorcycle around the same time and I saw that one on craigslist come and go, I wanted to drive up and see it but it was gone before I had a chance!

Back