2005 model clutch cable change

Grim Reaper

Reaction score
Visit site
HI all,

my clutch cable decided to give up the ghost yesterday and on trying to get the old one out it appears I have to remove the airbox? Or is there an easier way, there appears to be an adjuster half way down the cable that stops it being pulled through up the side of the frame and out. Before I remove the airbox is there an easier way?

thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes there is...

On the inside of the MAIN frame rail(left side) is a plastic zip tie that holds the clutch cable to the frame. It's somewhat difficult
to get to but you can get in there and snip it off. The clutch cable is NOW free to come out..

The cable isn't going anywhere with the zip tie off however you'll now be able to swap the clutch cable without even lifting the tank..

I've pulled my cable out several times to adjust the mid-section adjuster W/O lifting the tank, seat, air box, etc.

The curves on each end of the cable is about the same but I've always pulled it down from below the frame rail..

And have BOTH ENDS disconnected completely before you start anything. You'll be tugging a little bit back and forth...

Count on the mid-section adjuster being "lengthened" some even thou its new. That's when it's REALLY handy to be able to
pull that cable outward for minor adjustments..

Plz post back how it goes...

(You may want to lube the new cable before you install it)

Grim Reaper

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott,
new cable should be arriving today/tomorrow and then I'll be swapping it over, I've loosened both ends already and will change it over before putting the tank back on as I started it before I posted on here.
I'll let you know how it goes and of course, lube the new cable.

cheers.
Tim

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good timing. I just replaced the clutch cable on my 2005. There's more than one way to skin a cat... but I found that removing the airbox helped immensely and only added about 10 minutes to the job.
Of course, that's because I couldn't get the plastic retainer ("zip tie") to let loose without moving the airbox. Thought about just cutting it and forgetting it, since things are tight enough in that space that the clutch cable isn't going anywhere as Scott says.
If you're cutting the clip then you can get away with not pulling the airbox for sure.
Good luck!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have pliers and a long 4mm Allen driver on a ratchet, it's maybe 5min to pull air box. Plus you can give these older bikes a proper inspection... i.e. look at hoses and wires for damage.

Stock cable at 28,000 mi. Never adjusted mid section. Just lube cable w/engine oil every 3mo and it pulls smooth and easy.
attachment.php

The other side:
attachment.php

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My air box has NEVER been off.

Filter changed, but sometimes a line or x doesn't get put back on pulling the box causing other issue

To do a mid cable adjustment is considerably easier (especially when you have set backs) and the tank will NOT clear with the rear bolt only..

As noted, the cable isn't going anywhere. I strongly suspect it's ONLY zip tied for initial assembly from the factory..

Just like doing a valve check. The manual says remove the throttle bodies. Do it if you wish but it's NOT necessary.

Grim Reaper

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for everything Scott/Ohendo, I went down the route of cutting the clip and hey presto, free it came. NO need to remove the air box. On top of that, to get the new cable the same route as the old one, I made up a puller by taping to large cable ties together and feeding them through the hole at the front of the frame, then attached the end of the new cable to it and pulled it back out, hey presto the cable is routed exactly the same as the original. I have a feeling the cable is not the same quality as it's not so smooth as the original despite being lubed up. Time will tell, it's stretched a little now so will be doing a mid cable adjustment this weekend. But at least I'm back on the road on it.
cheers all and thanks again.I did take a pic of the clip but as there are better pics on here there's no need for it.
T.