2005 FZ6 First Riding Impression

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys, I just picked up my *new* 2005 FZ6 today and just wanted to share my first impression of it.

I purchased the bike over a week ago and finally was able to pick up today today but the seller lived over 2 hours away so I had to ride it back home to Dallas, Texas where I live so I want to share my experiences about the new bike.

here is pictures of the bike
http://www.600riders.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/46067-just-want-say-hi-everyone.html

MODS: the bike is mostly stock except that it has a Corbin seat, 30mm handlebar riser and PowerBronze fairing on it.

Coming from a Ninja 500R the power differences was very noticeable, scared myself a few times when I was cruising at 30mph in 2nd gear and decided to give it a little gas and man... can the FZ6 pull hard O_O but I LOVED every moment of it :)
Plus with the 500R highway riding isn't really its strong suit as I sometime have trouble pulling away from traffic while cruising around 75mph.

There is a couple things that I have to point out that kind of concerns me, I've heard great things about Corbin seats and thought it was good idea to get a bike that had them already but they seems to be a lot more dense and stiffer then the stock seat which really hurts after a while. Almost feels like I'm sitting on cardboard with a sheet rock under it; I'm not sure if its suppose to be like that or maybe its just an old seat thats been sitting in the sun for too long but it really hurts. Can anyone shed some light on this especially if you own the same seat yourself.

Also, the clutch on the 500R was very light and easy to pull in, but the clutch on the FZ6 was very stiff; is there anyway to adjust it?

As for the rest of the bike, I'm completely in love with it; its light and flickable, easy to read gauges with a lot of usable power and extremely comfortable riding position especially with the extra 30mm risers.

Anyways; ride safe and keep the shining side up :)

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same year model bike - and one suggestion comes immediately to mind....

KillerNoodle clutch slave lever mod.

Do a search, but for $50 or so, KN will make you a modified clutch slave lever that will greatly enhance the clutch friction zone, and ease of clutch pull.

Cheers,
Rick

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike. It looks like a keeper. I'll chime in on the Corbin. It is designed to be hard, and will conform to you after a bit. The idea is that it eliminates hot spots. I recently did 2700 miles in 5 days with no complaints. It may not be for, so you could easily swap it in the marketplace here. Enjoy.

Joe

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
I too just picked up an 05 FZ6, coming from a 05 Honda 919 this feels more like a kitty kat, but pleasant no less.
The seat is much more comfy than my 919 but I feel there is a little to much sweep in the bars. The bike only has 6400 miles and I snatched it up really cheap otherwise I would have probably held out for an FZ1. Overall, I'm still quite happy with my purchase, needed something on the cheap....
photobucket-21296-1346536750439.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the all the advice guys.
At first I've failed to notice there was an adjustment knob/dial that lets me adjust the slack of the clutch and now everything is better , not exactly what I want but hey, its good enough for me.

About the Corbin seats, it does seem like something I got to get used it; I was lucky enough to come to work today and happened to pull my bike up to one of my customers who also rode an FZ6 and it seems like the Corbin seat is a good amount wider then the stock but kind of set back a bit more overall, I'll give the seat a couple of thousands miles and if I still don't like it; I'll just sell it here on the forums to you guys for like $150.

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the all the advice guys.
At first I've failed to notice there was an adjustment knob/dial that lets me adjust the slack of the clutch and now everything is better , not exactly what I want but hey, its good enough for me.

About the Corbin seats, it does seem like something I got to get used it; I was lucky enough to come to work today and happened to pull my bike up to one of my customers who also rode an FZ6 and it seems like the Corbin seat is a good amount wider then the stock but kind of set back a bit more overall, I'll give the seat a couple of thousands miles and if I still don't like it; I'll just sell it here on the forums to you guys for like $150.

if you decide you dont like it shoot me a pm i'll take it

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
for the clutch, the clutch perch housing can get pretty dirty and gummed up. It wouldn't hurt to pull it apart real quick and give it a good cleaning. It made a tremendous difference on mine.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
i also owned an EX500 prior to my FZ6 purchase. Yes, the clutch is stiff...much more so than the Ninja and lubing the cable won't give you the same easy pull. I also had the Corbin seat and found it as hard as a rock!. Although no seat will give you all day comfort where your a** will feel daisy fresh after riding 12 hrs straight, the Corbin will only allow your butt to get sore to a certain degree of discomfort. Compared to the stock seat, you should be able to ride alot farther in a day with the corbin. Just my 2cents....