2004 FZ6 Engine Dilemma

bensexcessbikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have been searching and searching around and ran into this board recently so figured I would join and go from there. Thank you for having a nice, clean, easy to navigate board; I am a member of several other boards and they can be hit or miss.

I recently picked up an absolutely cherry silver 2004 FZ6 with about 6K on the clock and a rod through the block on cyl #1. It’s quite funny actually. The previous owner said he was cruising at about 60 and heard a noise. Based on the overall condition of the bike, it just seems to be a very odd mechanical failure, and Yamaha didn’t warranty it (because the bike was out by time, despite the lowish mileage).

Looking at the bike, it doesn’t appear to have been stunted at all, beat up, abused or otherwise neglected. What caused the failure, have no idea, it’s unfortunate.

At any rate, I am at a crossroads with the bike @ this point. I have the engine out and am loathe to start tearing into the engine to see what caused the failure. I think I would spend more time and $$ repairing the engine than it would be to just slam a “new” one in there.

What I am hoping everyone on the board could help me with are three things:
1) Is this a common failure on those engines, or has anyone else heard of the same thing? Is there a simple fix? I.e. if this is a common failure, is say the journal on #1 known to be bad, and just replace the rod, mill the crank, clean out debris and have the block welded an answer?

2) Another related part of why I posted this message is that I can’t find a definitive answer to this question: What engines will swap in directly, with no modifications (i.e. R6, R1 or FZ1)? I’m not worried about rewiring a connector here or there, or adding a related ECM, just don’t want to start cutting, welding or making custom mounting plates. I literally searched, searched and searched for several hours online through various boards and have not found a definitive answer to this question or evidence that it is possible. I don’t want to swap cams, exhaust manifolds or any other parts for performance, I just want to find an engine and replace the one that was in there and sell the bike.

3) Would it be more advantageous to just part the thing out @ this point? As I mentioned, the rest of the bike is absolutely cherry, no a scratch or mark on it. It’s been ridden, so not showroom condition, but still what I would describe as VGC. I just haven’t seen much of a parts market for these bikes, so not sure how advantageous that would be.

Thanks very much! Ride safe!

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why a rod went through the block.... scrap that motor and bolt in another one. Stay with an FZ6 motor if you can. '06 and beyond, the engine is painted black, rather than clear coated. I'd think '04-'06 would be your best bet, they made slight changes with the '07 model year; but I don't think they were major. ECU PN is the same for the whole range, 04-09.

If not, the FZ6 version is derived from the '00-'03 YZFR6 engine. Bottom end should be identical. Intake, head, ECU would be different, exhaust is also different. Cams have a different profile.

bensexcessbikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why a rod went through the block.... scrap that motor and bolt in another one. Stay with an FZ6 motor if you can. '06 and beyond, the engine is painted black, rather than clear coated. I'd think '04-'06 would be your best bet, they made slight changes with the '07 model year; but I don't think they were major. ECU PN is the same for the whole range, 04-09.

If not, the FZ6 version is derived from the '00-'03 YZFR6 engine. Bottom end should be identical. Intake, head, ECU would be different, exhaust is also different. Cams have a different profile.

Nice, thanks for the information.

So if I was able to find a good lower end of an 00-03 R6, I could probably use the current top end I have (as long as #1 didn't mash valves...)?

Thanks,

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Wait for second party confirmation before you buy the R6 lower end, but I think that would work.

There's been a number of FZ6 complete motors come up for sale on this board, and one of the other sites.... I recall seeing on a few months ago that the spark plug threads had been stripped out of the head. So the gentleman involved replaced his entire motor. That bottom end would have been ideal for your need.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
1) not common

2) none

3) part out or try to find a used engine from ppl parting out...

Good luck.

bensexcessbikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait for second party confirmation before you buy the R6 lower end, but I think that would work.

There's been a number of FZ6 complete motors come up for sale on this board, and one of the other sites.... I recall seeing on a few months ago that the spark plug threads had been stripped out of the head. So the gentleman involved replaced his entire motor. That bottom end would have been ideal for your need.

Another good point...classifieds.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Craigslist, cycle trader, motorcycle junk yards....... contacting your local MC shops and seeing what they have going to scrap.... forums, most definitely.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just validating other views here...
Abandon the motor you have (although it's worthwhile to scavenge the electrical components) and pick up a used FZ6 powerplant. Target price for a normal mileage engine (~6K miles per model year) is between $500-$900.

In addition, low mileage 04-06 FZs are going for under $3000 now.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Just validating other views here...
Abandon the motor you have (although it's worthwhile to scavenge the electrical components) and pick up a used FZ6 powerplant. Target price for a normal mileage engine (~6K miles per model year) is between $500-$900.

In addition, low mileage 04-06 FZs are going for under $3000 now.

Plus, the parts from the broken motor make neat display pieces on your desk at work. :Flash: (Personally, I use a Pontiac 455 piston with a broken connecting rod....)

bensexcessbikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses... I tore into the motor last night and I will snap some pics today.

Based on the motors I have seen on eBay for the past 6 or so months, they are all around $650-$1200 landed and that prices me out of wanting to repl the motor (unless I can find one locally for cheap).

It really kills me to part the thing out since its such a clean motor otherwise... I ended up keeping track of some progress in my Twitter account (RC51parts) and will probably grab some photos at some point today.

The rod through the block caused such carnage it actually broke the lower engine case in TWO places and rammed a hole in the starter in the exact shape of the "I" in the rod! Funny stuff.

So y'all may see a huge listing of a silver 04 for parts in a little while...

Disappointing, was hoping to reconstruct the bike and have a good little rider. My other bikes (RC51s) are not exactly comfortable street bikes.