2004 FZ6 BD43 headlight mod help.......

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got some time set aside to install BD43 headlight mod(which I think is an excellent,well constructed item) and I could not remove the battery box in my 2004 fz6,,,,I removed the air cleaner and battery but i could not get the battery box out to access the wire harness. I'm not sure whats holding it in? I Just bought the bike a few months ago so it's all new to me but it does ride nic with my new Q2 tires on it...So if anyone with a 2004 or similair set up fz6 can clue me in on how to reach the (Holy Grail) wire harness I would be very happy and appreciative..thanks in advance Tom in NY

PS I noticed the air filter was dirty goota get a new one of those-22,000 miles on the bike and it runs great....

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tom, there should not be too much to removing the battery box. As memory serves me, there are two sets of bolts holding down the box. The first set is the one you remove to lift the cover off the battery box. There is another set which holds the box to the frame which is right above it. There are some more pics on my website site for you to peruse.

Once the bolts are removed, I believe you have to jiggle it straight up becasue there are some catch tabs underneath that need to be cleared. Then it can be slide to the rear.

Good luck.

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for you quick responce-I did remove the 2 screws that hold the top part, then I removed 2 moe after the battery cover was off. I removed the battery and noticed an electrical part(maybe coil) attached to the front of the battery box at the top....AT this point I tried to remove this part and had no luck...I tried lifting the box out but still no luck.I had my net book in the garage with me with the pictures of your bike-What year is it-Things looked a little different from my 2004.....I closed the bike up and put everything back together,,I have to find the time to try to install it again...The electrical connections for the harnesss look simple enough on both ends...I just have to get that box out...I'll try again soooon, thanks again tom:rockon:

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Im kinda surprsed no one with a 2004 did the BD43 headlight mod!!! It's an excellent safety mod that s well designed..I guess my best bet is to google how to remove 204 fz6 battery box.....thanks guys

:BLAA::BLAA::BLAA:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone help this man! He's obviously crying out for help and no one is! I will have no choice but refer him to tcmalker's mod...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:BLAA::spank::welcome:

Tommy,

Let me see if I can find a break down on your bike. Be right back....

I found this breakdown so far. http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...Model/FZ600/GroupID/240976/Group/ELECTRICAL_2 Is what you are referring to in the battery box the starter switch/relay #2 ? Still looking........

Check this out! see #17? It looks like it is a removable plate at the bottom of the battery box...http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...D/5947/Model/FZ600/GroupID/240939/Group/FRAME

Last edited:

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this on my 2004 Fz6 with BD43's kit a while ago. The battery box doesn't come all the way out but does slide backwards once you get the airbox out and then you can get to the connector you're after nestled in the front there.

If you want the box all the way out (looking at the service manual in front of me) there are two bolts on each of the bits fixed to the front of it (one on each side) and that looks to be all that holds it in there.

Try wobbling it back though first as that's all I needed to do.The printed instructions with the kit I got were great. Same as on the website bd43 pointed you at :thumbup:

Word of warning though. Do not let go of the bolts on the battery terminals. I did and took 2 hours to recover them from inside the frame! I now keep a magnetic pickup tool close at hand every time I need to fiddle with them just in case.

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this on my 2004 Fz6 with BD43's kit a while ago. The battery box doesn't come all the way out but does slide backwards once you get the airbox out and then you can get to the connector you're after nestled in the front there.

If you want the box all the way out (looking at the service manual in front of me) there are two bolts on each of the bits fixed to the front of it (one on each side) and that looks to be all that holds it in there.

Try wobbling it back though first as that's all I needed to do.The printed instructions with the kit I got were great. Same as on the website bd43 pointed you at :thumbup:

Word of warning though. Do not let go of the bolts on the battery terminals. I did and took 2 hours to recover them from inside the frame! I now keep a magnetic pickup tool close at hand every time I need to fiddle with them just in case.
thank you-as long as i can reach the connector with out removing the battery box that will be great-now all i need is some time to take it apart again-thanks again and ride safe, Tom