200 miles one tank

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
38 miles on the flashing light, and it took 18.3 liters to brim the tank, just over the grid.

Neil. :thumbup:
I have ridden 38 miles on reserve. I was trying to empty the tank so I can remove it to fix my tank mod (aka dent). I was riding at between 35 - 40 mph in town.

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
Since fitting and down loading the correct fuel map, fuel consumption has changed.
Still over 200 (just) miles on a run, but closer to 150 around the lanes.
Neil. :thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I doing something wrong? Today I filled up and drove 100 miles on motorways so I was going 70 miles per hour for most of it. I filled it right to the top, about 14 liters and when I got to my destination there was only two bars left on my display. Did I have another 100 miles in the tank at that stage? I dont want to test it!!

I was told that since the bike is restricted I will be consuming much more fuel but I never thought it would be almost twice the amount as you guys!!!

B

Bo67

Re: Mileage

I average ~49 MPG. My fuel bar starts blinking at about 190 miles and with a .9 gallon reserve I should be able to get ~230 miles before it runs dry. Having pushed enough bikes to the gas station in my youth forgetting I had the pet**** on reserve already, I usually fill up at ~200 miles.
So far as hot weather mileage being better: My '06 Sonata has one of those trip compueters in it. In the summer I can get 34.1 MPG max on the interstate doing 75 MPH, in the winter I get about 29 MPG. I worked on fighter aircraft for 20 years and the same was true with them. High speed aeordynamics on jets dictated that as the temperature decreases and altitude stays constant, the air pressure increases thus requiring more thrust (fuel) to maintain momentum. This could be cancelled out by increasing altitude (less air=less pressure to maintain the same speed). This is true but I don't think it would matter much for a motorcycle that has about 6 square feet of frontal area (fairing, tire, rider) than does an aircraft but maybe so. I'm not an engineer so I can't do the math but thought I'd throw this out there just for yuks.

-Bo

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Am I doing something wrong? Today I filled up and drove 100 miles on motorways so I was going 70 miles per hour for most of it. I filled it right to the top, about 14 liters and when I got to my destination there was only two bars left on my display. Did I have another 100 miles in the tank at that stage? I dont want to test it!!

I was told that since the bike is restricted I will be consuming much more fuel but I never thought it would be almost twice the amount as you guys!!!

When the bike reaches the reserve point, the bars start to flash & the mileometer changes to miles run on reserve. Typically, an unrestricted bike will do about 40 miles on reserve. So, you're totally safe until stuff starts flashing. You'll have to do the sums once you've establish what sort of mpg you're achieving as to the range on reserve. :)

Or strap a can of fuel on your back seat & run it dry

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm usually around 290km in the city (44mpg) when I get the blinking light and 310km on the highway(47mpg). When I fill up right close to when the light starts blinking I usually put in around 15.5L.

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I mist like hearing my bike sing(above 7k) way too much... I have only gotten as high as 47 mpg once and as low as 38 once. The general average is 40-42... Either something is wrong or I ride too hard.

Khyren

JohnnyT

Reaction score
Visit site
How Far

So I'm reading this thread and I tell myself "I should know this". New bike (less than 400 miles) 52 miles/gal, 177 miles on 3.4 gals; on the last bar, but not blinking. :)

S

sportrider

I mist like hearing my bike sing(above 7k) way too much... I have only gotten as high as 47 mpg once and as low as 38 once. The general average is 40-42... Either something is wrong or I ride too hard.

Khyren
no worries thats a normal side effect of having a heavy right arm!!!
:Sport:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04, with about 30000 miles. I've seen a low of 35 MPG, a high of 66 MPG, with consistent 50 MPG tanks.

It really seems to depend on a combination of wind resistance and time spent at cruising speed (50-80 MPH) to get the economy of use. In other words, riding 2-up in town, with constant stops and starts will suck fuel. Conversely, 100-200 miles of country roads at 65 MPH will use little to keep moving.

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
Over 4 tanks I've averaged 47.5 mpg.

It was a good combination of stop and go. Mostly in town riding with 2 tanks accounted for during a nice long mountain ride.

ang1dust

My bike is smokin I think
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Dont try this at home

Haha well i ran my bike out of gas like the 5th fuel up.

I agree that premium is the way to go. Its like buying Red bull instead of a bottle of water before you go to work. I just cant resist.

K, i ran out of gas at about 256.x or so. I was almost to the gas station i wanted haha. So i filled up and since the 600 mile maint i had been getting 50-52mpg at 70-72 (give or take 2) doing 130 miles a day. Recently i have hit 7,000 mile marker and it seems to have gone down to about 48 or 49 and the only way i can hit 50 or 51 is if i let off and go 66-68 mph (give or take 2). I am sure that my weight has a little to do with the gas milage but i dont think i have gained that much to decrease myself 2-4 mpg :( I have stock tires and they have about 3-6k miles left in them (i hope *crosses fingers*) but im sure tire usage is in another thread :D

So anyhow i went to buy a front gear for my bike today. I think the FZ6's (2007) come with a 15 tooth. I got the 17 tooth from yamaha (i think they have Sunstar make it i see the stamp on it). I dont know if i want to keep it because i have found so many front gears that have been drilled for weight reasons and everyone knows that the less weight to the crank the more horsepower it can offer (course torque is kinda decreased but thats not were you wanna get your tourque). I dont have the tools here to put it on yet so i cant say what kind of gas mileage i will get with it. I will create a new thread when i do. I found a gear / RPM / mph excel spread sheet that shows what RPM you should be at for each gear / top speed / and top power speed. I hear that the bike is geared at 98 HP at 12,000 rpm and red lines between 14-16rpm. I run 66MPH roughly at 6,500 rpm. 70 lies at 6,900. You guys run about the same? wtf did you do to get 66mpg; you either weigh nothing, breathe helium everyday, or start at the top of mount everest before you went home? :D

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I always get around 50 mpg and the worst I have got is 46 mpg. Even with 2-up in the twisties, I managed 49 mpg. As long it gives more than my car 25-30 mpg, I am good. And the thrill of riding + twice the mpg makes my day :Sport:

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
my current cage nets me about 15mpg and that's shifting at 2500 every shift... it's a 4.7 v8 in an 01 dakota. The ike easily gets twice that and I'm happy with that :D

Khyren

mitdxiw

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the FZ6 less fuel efficient during break-in?

I have a new FZ6 and I filled a full tank at 70miles and was in reserve by 160miles. Refueled there and was about half full at 220. So I'm estimating around 30 mpg...

hellstormer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm riding a 05 FZ6 (near stock)... My mileage is ard 270km (168miles) when the the reserve light started to blink... Travel in the city 80% of the time (speed of 20~50km, 12~30mph ), the rest is highway (our limit is only 90kmh,56mph) but ave going I'm going ard 100kmh (62.5mph)...

Is there something unusual about the consumption... seems like everyone here got very good mileage... Or the 05 version ???

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the FZ6 less fuel efficient during break-in?

I have a new FZ6 and I filled a full tank at 70miles and was in reserve by 160miles. Refueled there and was about half full at 220. So I'm estimating around 30 mpg...

bikes during break in will have a greater fuel economy, my wifes SV was getting 38mpg during her break in and now she gets about 68mpg consistently (except when i ride it :rockon:).

H

HavBlue

bikes during break in will have a greater fuel economy, my wifes SV was getting 38mpg during her break in and now she gets about 68mpg consistently (except when i ride it :rockon:).

Two things here, an engine will get better fuel economy under the same road and ride conditions after it has broken in. The engines are typically tight for the first 2,000 miles and it has been my experience they will generally cut loose after this. In my case this wasn't true as the FZ6 has been in the 45 to 55mpg range from after about 300 miles but I don't break mine in like the book says at all.

Now, as to this SV650 that gets 68mpg on a regular basis, I want to know who is pushing that bike or is it rolling down hill with the engine off? From anything I have read from their owners or even the Suzuki tests, the SV650 averages between 43 city and 54 hwy but this is corrected; meaning the odometer error has been eliminated. Somebody is pushing that bike or towing it with a strap....he he he he...

H

HavBlue

FYI: I have gone 254 miles on mine and still had fuel left as I put in like 4.7 gallons.