1st time trailering bike

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you might recall my thread asking for advice trailering a bike. Well, last weekend I got everything I needed to trailer my bike from VA to NY. I got a great deal on a trailer ($50) and bought everything else I needed (wheel chalk, bar strap, ratchet straps, etc.) I was doing a practice run to see how everything would strap down. This was before I had the bar straps and as I was messing with the straps, my bike fell over on the trailer. Luckily, the trailer has sides on it which kept the bike from falling off the trailer onto the garage floor. I tried to catch the bike as it fell onto the throttle side grabbing onto the handle bar with one hand. Obviously, this didnt work. Since I couldnt lift the bike from that side I had to let it go and hope that the trailer wall held the bike as I ran around to the other side. I managed to get the bike back onto the kick stand and see the damage for the 1st time. I scratched the fairing pretty good and got a small scratch on the tank but thats all. Even though the damage was minimal, my heart was broken. I couldnt believe I dropped my brand new baby and I wasnt even on it. So once my ego mended a bit, I went and bought the bar straps.

On the day of the trip, I started out on the bike and planned on putting the bike on the trailer after a few hours. After about 100 miles in stop & go traffic (90+ degree heat) I decided to put the bike on the trailer. Everything was going just as my wife and I practiced until my wife said "Are your handle bars bent"? Once again, my heart broke when I realized my throttle bar was bent almost all the way to the tank. I was watching the suspension as I used the ratchet straps with no regard to the handle bars. Since there was nothing I could do at the time, I swallowed my pride again and got in the car to drive the rest of the way to NY.

When I got to NY, I was able to bend the bar back using a section of an exhaust pipe my brother-in-law had lying around. It looks almost as good as new and I was able to ride it. I had a great week and put about 400 miles on the bike riding with my brother-in-law & father-in-law. My father-in-law now wants an FJR after riding my bike.

The trip home went fine. I made sure to watch the bars as I was ratcheting down the straps. I will be order new bars soon just to be safe. I am sure they are not as strong as they used to be. I will post pics of the damage done from dropping the bike soon. I am at work now so maybe when I get home.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tie down both my FZ and FJR using soft ties around the lower fork legs and lower triple clamps. I know they make at least 12" and 18" ties. Regular tie downs (or rachet straps) hooked into those and linked to the trailer... You won't have to worry about damaging throttles, grips, bars etc using them....

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Now, I know we discussed pull vs. ratcheting and I mentioned that you had to ratchet carefully or something would let go... Now, bending the bars to the tank? The suspension HAD to be 100% bottomed out long before this so what were you looking at? ;)

Sorry it wasn't as smooth for you but at least now you know what can go wrong and what to look for. Doing it wrong once is "experience" If you do it wrong again? ;)

At least bars are cheap! :D Time for the FZ1 bars! :cheer:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
damn dude, how hard were you cranking on them to bend the handle bars???? I usually roll my bike all the way up to the front of the trailer, then put it on the center stand and rock it back and forth for about six inches so it touches the front rail of the trailer again. (obviously when putting on center stand it pulls the bike back about 6 inches, so you have to rock it forward to get it touching again) then just strap it till its tight, you aint gotta murder it. the center stand alone keeps it upright, then the straps just hold it there. i use the bar tie downs on the front, and run a strap around each side of the frame on the back. Usually go about 10 miles and stop to tighten, then its usually good 100%.

my misfortune is that one time my extra strap got loose (knot must have came undone.) and went around the trailer axle, i have no idea how long it was like that but when i stopped for food i realized it and my completely destroyed tie down clamp. i have no clue how it didnt bend the bars...