1st gear question

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike wont jump into first gear unless I role it about an inch. This normal? I only ask because another biker stopped in front of me on a hill and I had a little trouble getting it from N to 1st. it makes a clackity noise like it tries but you have to role it or push really hard.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same every once in a while. Useually I can just let go of the clutch and pull it back in, and the it will pop nicely into 1st.

It does the same sometimes in 2nd, when I havent geared all the way down to 1st coming to a stop. Then I'll have to let out the cluch just a little where you can feel it grips, and then pull it back in and shift down into 1st.

Hope it helps :)

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this has happened to me a time or two as well, but I'm just about always in first before I come to a stop now.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Try lubing all of the shift linkage - that made a big difference in the way that my bike shifts. I used white lithium grease on mine.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's like that too. I just roll back or forth a little until it kicks in. Usually though, I'm in 1st before I come to a stop - it's much easier to shift into 1st at 10mph or so.

ka$h

Biking Noob
Reaction score
Visit site
Just the gearbox not settling 'inline'. A quick partial release of the clutch to spin into place fixes this. Always try to select gears when moving to avoid this ;)