1965 bsa

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's are pictures in case the link doesn't work.
Cheers

Do it!! I bought a 'vintage' Honda this summer and it's been a hoot. Mind you, I've spent 2 hours with it in my garage for every 15 minutes on the road, but that's part of the 'fun'.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a fun project. Good excuse to go to Sears and buy new tools.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my 1970 CL450 Honda to work today. What a hoot! Now THAT's motorcycling!!
Buy the beezer today before someone else does ;)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply but I was saving up for a F800 GS, but that'll require ALOT of savings compared to the BSA. Do you think it's a fair price, I still have to physically assess the condition of the bike and maybe get to test ride it if the owner is willing.......... but I have the feeling he'll ask me drop a deposit equaling the total cost.

Ares

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'll be brutally honest with you. $4000 is an awful lot of money to drop on a bike that you'll probably spend more time repairing than riding. Nice condition or not, it's still nearly 45 years old and will require a lot of TLC.
I owned a 1962 BSA A65 in 1967 and it was very, very high maintenance even back then when it was relatively new. ;)
Unless you've got a lot of disposable income and a lot of disposable time, I'd advise you to wait until you've saved up enough to buy your F800GS, or look around for a nice used Japanese bike for $4000.
I would LOVE to own a mid-60's Brit 650 twin again, but I'd much rather have my FZ6. :thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don`t know what the US market is like for the USA but here is the E-Bay link for BSA motorbikes which are for sale at the moment. It may give you some idea.

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.htm...t=UK_Motorcycles&_odkw=Bsa+rocket&_osacat=422

Onetrack has a point about it being expensive but it all depends what you want out of motorcycling. If you want a bike to get on ride as far as you want without any problems and which is relatively easy to service...except those ****** plugs, then the FZ6 is great. It never goes wrong. But if you also have a hankering to learn how a bike really works then an old project bike like a BSA is great.

Whether it be an old bike or an old car, it is going to cost money to get it right. After it is right then it is cheaper to service and look after than your FZ6. The problem you will find that if it goes wrong then it can be sat for quite a while before you find the right parts to fix it. With an FZ6 you ring up and order the part.

If you can only afford one bike and want to ride rather than repair have the FZ6. If you are lucky and can have two bikes that is the ideal solution. The bike you are looking at looks in good condition but my word of advice is when it comes to bikes, especially old bikes is NEVER take their word about the history of the bike because the seller almost certainly does not know it. Secondly find a Veteran bike association near you and ask someone to go with you to see the bike who knows about BSAs. That can save you a lot of money and heartache.

IMG_2206.jpg

This is my 1956 Moto Guzzi Cardellino 65cc

IMG_7637.jpg

It will be totally stripped down and refurbished. This is my first project bike and I felt confident in starting on something small. Finding parts I need for it is part of the battle and part of the fun. I am in contact with people all over the world about it. BSA parts are still being made new in the UK and are as easy to get as modern bike parts.

Steve

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply but I was saving up for a F800 GS, but that'll require ALOT of savings compared to the BSA. Do you think it's a fair price, I still have to physically assess the condition of the bike and maybe get to test ride it if the owner is willing.......... but I have the feeling he'll ask me drop a deposit equaling the total cost.

Ares

They are neat, but in a different realm than modern bikes. Early Brit bikes had the brake and shifter sides reversed! The first time I rode a 1960's Triumph, that made riding require thinking! If you have the time to turn a wrench and the patience to fix horrible wiring, questionable machining, and lots of stripped threads, then get it! Just do not expect it to be even remotely similar to a modern bike in any fashion.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We also put the steering wheel on the other side of the car as well.

Wolfc70....the idea of getting a classic bike is to be able to "turn a wrench", stripping threads is operator error and nothing to do with the bike. As for horrible wiring, just look at the FZ6.

People do not go into classic bikes if they think that they can just hop on it and ride forever like they can with the FZ6. It is the same for classic cars.

Classic bikes are making a big comeback in Europe. Not just the old bikes but the way designers are looking at new bike design as well. Look at the Royal Enfields for example. People are getting bored with a lot of bikes looking the same.

If you have the interest and ability to work on old bikes it is well worth the effort and it certainly is not all doom and gloom as some people make out.

Steve

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfc70....the idea of getting a classic bike is to be able to "turn a wrench", stripping threads is operator error and nothing to do with the bike. As for horrible wiring, just look at the FZ6.

People do not go into classic bikes if they think that they can just hop on it and ride forever like they can with the FZ6. It is the same for classic cars.

Classic bikes are making a big comeback in Europe. Not just the old bikes but the way designers are looking at new bike design as well. Look at the Royal Enfields for example. People are getting bored with a lot of bikes looking the same.

If you have the interest and ability to work on old bikes it is well worth the effort and it certainly is not all doom and gloom as some people make out.

Steve

It all depends on which "operator". 44 years ago things were done differently. Metallurgy is not what it is today, that and the British twins were not known for being glass smooth, plus who knows who else has touched it equals stripped threads. I have done major engine work on a 1966 Triumph Trophy 650 and a BSA A65 Lightning, and most of the factory bolts were not super strong. Not to mention the old BSF/Whitworth bolt heads were very easy to round off. If the bike has the original electrical system, it is going to need some work, as time has not helped already weak electrical systems, LUCAS = Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.:D

I am not saying not to own or restore a classic bike, just that know what you are getting into first, that way there are no surprises. These bikes need to be saved and cherished, and personally I would rather save a bike that was almost lost then buy one already saved.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know the Yamaha XS 650 is a great old bike to restore or build and ALOT cheaper,and has a huge following with ton's of Aftermarket part's available,and I can personaly testify that these engines are reliiable if still in working order...if not it's not that hard to put em back that way you can even get a new engine bolt kit!! ( http://www.mikesxs.net/ ) has it all.. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOp3Lv4P8Io]YouTube - 2X Motorcycle TV Jason Bonham XS 650 Street Tracker At Mikes XS[/ame]

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
an old project bike is one of my dreams as well, though I dream of a more modest CB750 cafe racer

ahhh, one of these days...

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
an old project bike is one of my dreams as well, though I dream of a more modest CB750 cafe racer

ahhh, one of these days...
CB750 is a cool bike......... i hope to have a Honda CBX 1000 someday...... :D [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_bBeV7cN0[/ame]

Last edited: