15t or not to 15t

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, been awhile since I've signed on (glad to see Wolfman still leading the pack in posts).

So here's the deal... I'm about to change the chain and sprockets (21k miles) as well as the brake pads and rear tire. However, I'm in a quandry.

I bought a 15t and a 16t (stock) front sprocket. I love the FZ how it is, but I hear so much about how great the 15t conversion is! I figure I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll change it back. However, is it possible to change the front sprocket without removing the chain?

It should also be noted that I do go on plenty of long highway trips, and of course this is going to affect the RPMs, especially at speed.

So I think if I can change the front sprocket without breaking the (new) chain, I'll give it a whirl... is this feasible?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm keeping the rear sprocket stock at 46t.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I run 15/46 and I love it. Touring great. Commuting great. Getting off the line quick great.

:D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can change between 15t and 16t without breaking the chain. Do the conversion, you won't regret it!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the 15T for half a season. It is fantastic in the twisties but on the highway at 70+ mph the revs get pretty annoying. I went back to stock and am liking it better

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
I did the 15T for half a season. It is fantastic in the twisties but on the highway at 70+ mph the revs get pretty annoying. I went back to stock and am liking it better

So... revs too high at 70mph with the 15T conversion?
I would love the higher lower end torque, but I would hate losing top end. That was my biggest complaint with my last bike, a Boulevard C50. I felt like I needed another gear after about 60mph.

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
How much would this conversion cost to have it done?
I think I would like the lower end punch. I don't really need the top end.

D

Dave.TX

If you do it yourself it's free. All you need is the sprocket and a 30mm socket (that's the size nut used on the 2008 at least, I hear older models use a 32mm).

Took me about 20 minutes to change but I went to a 17T as I do a lot of highway riding (just did 310 miles last Saturday). Didn't do the change until tonight so will see how it goes. Should make the speedometer correct now.

Bowflex

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the best mods I ever did to my bike, 25 bucks for the 15t and about a half hour of my time (adjusting the chain was time consuming :rolleyes:). DO EEEET!

pascal1973

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a great mod, and for 25 bucks it's well worth the try.I say do it, you'll probably end up buying a speedohealer, because you won't go back to stock....

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay on the follow-up, but my opinion of the 15t change...

Wow... ALOT more low end... That thing pulls up like none other! So far I'm happy with the 15t sprocket, although if I do a long ride I may change it to the 16t for highway, but no plans so far. The FZ6 is an awesome bike, but now it's an animal! I didn't expect such a change but I'm definitely happy with it.

Oh, and total cost was a new chain (not required for the mod), and the 15t which was 25 dollars. I do all my own work so tools have to be factored into that I guess, but whatever. As a buddy to borrow a torque wrench and the right sockets and you're good.

Last edited:

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
Sorry for the delay on the follow-up, but my opinion of the 15t change...

Wow... ALOT more low end... That thing pulls up like none other! So far I'm happy with the 15t sprocket, although if I do a long ride I may change it to the 16t for highway, but no plans so far. The FZ6 is an awesome bike, but now it's an animal! I didn't expect such a change but I'm definitely happy with it.

So...do the RPMs rev annoyingly high at higher speeds? Does it feel like u need another gear! or is it fine?
I'd love the aggressive low-end but I don't wanna sacrifice my top end. Although I shouldn't go 145mph, it's nice to know I can :)

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want to commit to that big of a speedo error. I changed mine to a 15/44 set up, should give me a little bit more on the bottom and reduce my rotating weight on the rear a little due to the smaller sprocket.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the best mods you can do for the price! The others would be Killernoodle's clutch slave lever, and a throttle tamer. The three make the bike the way "it should have been" from the factory, for very little $.

You really don't "need" a speedo-healer. It's about 10-15% off at this point (12%? exact figures in other threads), so the head-maths aren't exactly rocket science. So at 50 subtract 5 or so from what you see on the speedo, at 60 subtract 6...at 100 subtract "oh my effing god, who cares right now...wheeee!"...and so on.

:BLAA:

D

Dave.TX

I s'pose if you go 15T up front you either need a speedohealer or just don't care what your actual speed is. It's adding more miles than your traveling. Mine stock would add 3 miles every 100, not a whole lot but it does add up (to not a whole lot). With the 17T up front it corrected the speedo error 100% and read perfectly accurate even to 100mph (according to GPS). I wasn't racing it to see how it'd do, was a little noticeable that it was less grunty but lowered the revs at higher speeds, it was no longer 5mph off at 70 (displaying 75). We all have different priorities.

Doesn't matter anymore, selling my bike in the morning and getting a BMW K1200GT. It has gobs of power (152HP to be exact) and tops off at 165mph. Not that I'll try that. Liked my FZ6 but my riding style changed.