12 Volt connector, what do you think of this one?

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a cheapo installed right now, just zip tied on so that I could have my GPS for a trip I took, but want to drill out my fairing (the little piece on the right, whatever it's called, the one that gets in the way when the tank is lifted) and install a permanent one. Here's what I found, anyone know of anything better?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_h_d_16a_p_mounted_din_socket_cap/

I checked the qualifications for IP67 out and basically it is qualified to not let ANY dust in and submersible up to 15 cm of water.
http://www.carryitcases.com.au/category249_1.htm - Reference

I appreciate any input or tips.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am picking up this kit. http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4419 in the 48" model. I am going to run it through the frame to the fuse box under the seat. Powerlet makes these especially for bikes with the elements in mind. I want it under the seat and fused so it is only on when the bike is running. It's a bit pricey but I know it will stand up to whatever I put the bike through.

Same here, it's for the GPS! :D

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I am picking up this kit. http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4419 in the 48" model. I am going to run it through the frame to the fuse box under the seat. Powerlet makes these especially for bikes with the elements in mind. I want it under the seat and fused so it is only on when the bike is running. It's a bit pricey but I know it will stand up to whatever I put the bike through.

Same here, it's for the GPS! :D

Hmm... what fuse/slot are you going to tap off of? I could do that, right now I am hardwired to the battery, with a fuse of course, like I said I did it on the fly.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm... what fuse/slot are you going to tap off of? I could do that, right now I am hardwired to the battery, with a fuse of course, like I said I did it on the fly.

Unsure yet. I've yet to crack it open and see what the best option is going to be. I'm hoping there's an unused slot I can tie to? :D

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Unsure yet. I've yet to crack it open and see what the best option is going to be. I'm hoping there's an unused slot I can tie to? :D

Yeah, I don't know if there are any free ones. The service manual for the 07 doesn't indicate any... let me know what you end up doing. I will probably just use the same harness I made for this one, just reroute it. It's pretty robust.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought XLR connectors, like the ones on the photo. Put the male connector on the fairing, and just use a little rubber plug over it when not in use. I connected one of the leads to negative, one to the battery plus and one to only on when ignition is on. So when I use my GPS I use - and + from ignition, my battery charger (trickle charger) is - and + to battery. Simple, cheap and works very good, best of all there is a lock on it so when you snap it in the only way to get it disconnected is to press the release so it never falls out.

It works good for me.
NX-XLR-101_small.jpg

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a powerlet connector like FZinNH posted. Mine's mounted in the side of my underseat tray for the battery tender and heated gear. It's been there for 2+ years with no issues. If I was willing to go through the hassle of mounting something to the inner fairing for GPS etc I'd buy another one in a second - so far I just hardwired the GPS lead to the battery and haven't worried about doing something more permanent.

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
When I installed mine on my Touring bike I just went to Radio Shack and bought one of theirs. It had a cap to cover for rain and a inline fuse already It was all under $5. if I remember right. Three years later still works like a charm.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Powerlet compatible with cigarette lighter adapters?

Yes, you can get them with all different connections. Not saying you have to shop here, but the site is great for referencing parts to determine what you want to purchase. http://www.whitehorsepress.com/index.php?cPath=9

They have some less expensive adapters you can wire up yourself, to full kits like the one I've linked above that I'll be installing. :thumbup: