10k miles, need a new air filter.... and a pcIII?

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm probably beating the dead horse here, but having just tipped the 10,000mi mark ive done the routine things ive either done in the past with oil changes and also switched to iridium plugs (big improvement). While checking things out I noticed my air filter could really be changed and am leaning towards a k&n for the obvious reasons of breathing better, and easier maintenance.

My question is having a set of scorpion cans on the bike when I bought it at 2k mi. the original owner never installed a power commander because he left the oem air filter in. How necessary is it to have a power commander if i choose to install the k&n (i'm not looking to dump $350 on that right now), or is it just safer to get another oem filter and run it like it has been?

-note, I called a local yamaha/ arctic cat shop in my area (D&D Powersports) and they claimed a powercommander would be needed if I dont want to lose power.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Hank - My two cents stick with the OEM air filter, get the PC, disconnect you O2 sensor, and get a custom tune.

I know people swear up and down on the K&N, more air, save money, etc. etc. Stick with the OEM, most racing teams use OEM paper filters and on the dyno it doesn't show any difference, and they capture more stuff than a K&N. Danny Eslick won in 2010 the AMA Daytona sport bike series with an OEM filter.

Regradless and Power Commander and a tune will really smooth the throttle out and wake the bike up. :thumbup:

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I think not spending the $350+ for the k&n and pc is much more budget friendly for the time being. My next question is what brand and where would I get an oem style paper filter, without doing one directly from the dealer without the markup? Typing "FZ6 air filter" yielded me only pages selling K&n filters