1001st GPS mounting thread

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I know a bunch of folks have done this, but I've only seen one other like mine. Meaning tight to the handlebar block and tucked in neatly behind the shield without obstructing the gauges whatsoever. Mainly I wanted to share my pics. The GPS is a Garmin 255 affixed with a RAM mount directed sideways instead of upwards.

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01798.jpg

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That is, quite literally, EXACTLY how I have my Nuvi 200 mounted. The only difference being that I've got FZ1 handlebars. It's a great spot and completely out of the way of everything.

Glad to see someone else thinks the way I do! :thumbup:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
nice job, looks clean and perfectly placed. If i didn't have my camera mount in almost the exact same spot, i would probably mount my GPS there as well. Perhaps i can fabricate a universal mount to switch between camera and GPS as I please.

Something about looking down at my GPS thought while riding sort of freaks me out. But hey, to each his own.

And by the way, you need some gas.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the larger "Yamaha" plate in the middle of the handlebars with 2 small caps that bolt down on each side of the bars (they came with a set of risers I don't use - I just kept the top fasteners and they work great).

Once you lose the "Yamaha" plate, you have a lot more room for RAM mounts.

Here's an old pic where you can see the large middle plate is now gone. I've since moved the large RAM mount on the left side (for a SPOT tracker) over to the right side, and I use the left RAM mount for a camera. The GPS sits in the center.

gadgets_old.jpg

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
jeepinoutwest: Great job with the mount. It looks very clean, like it was designed to be in that very spot.

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
D-mac: I like the looks of the "yamaha block", but did notice the lack of room for RAM mounts when I installed a u-bolt base for a RAM camera mount. Very tight. I never considered replacing that big block. Great idea!