10 years with my Fazer

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They say time flies when you're having fun (or in a coma) but today is 10 years since I got my brand new blue FZ-6 Fazer.

I went to my local Yamaha dealer to buy an XJR1300 because I loved the whole retro look. My wife pointed the Fazer out to me and I was immediately attracted by the look, half fairing, underseat pipes, gorgeous blue :)

I filled in the finance papers and tried on a helmet and on April 1, 2004, the day after getting back from a business trip to Germany, I picked up my new baby. I hadn't had a test ride, I had never seen one before the visit to the dealer and hadn't read any tests so it was a trip into the unknown. For easily 6-8 months after I got it, I didn't see another one anywhere and it was quite the attention getter at rallies and other get togethers.

Ten years later it only has around 52,000km on and it is only a year since I replaced the original chain and sprockets. I have been mild with the mods, Akrapovics, a Stiebel Nautilus horn, Philips MotoVision headlight bulbs, R&G Tail Tidy and blue Rizoma grips.

I have never once regretted buying this bike. After 20 years without a bike I think a 600 was the perfect size, it rides and handles great solo or 2-up and has been super-reliable. I've been tempted to replace it twice... once when the current FZ-1 came out and now.... the MT-09 is stunning.... but with the amount of riding I do I can't justify spending the money on a toy.

Oh, and I just bought the tickets for the San Marino MotoGP about half an hour ago :spank:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And as an added bonus.......all the friends you have made because of that bike and this forum :hug:
Ain't life grand?!?!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, 7 years for me too!
Andz, got a pic of your "decade" bike? :Flash:

I have one of Andz's bike. Pulled it from another thread.

andz_zps4ba66323.jpg

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Congrats! Ten years for me too!

Now that you mention it, it's also been ten years since I bought my FZ6 new, but I got the faster silver color. :D

I had a CBR600F4 at the time and was doing a bunch of track days, but I was tired of my forearms going numb after fifteen minutes of riding on the street. I test drove a first gen FZ1 and hated it, then I saw the new FZ6 announced. As soon as my dealership got one, I begged for a test ride and knew it would be my bike.

I'm still irked about the crazy amount of wind noise from the bike (tried three windscreens on it) but besides that, I'm happy.

To celebrate the anniversary, I just picked up an Ohlins for it.

I test rode a new FZ-09 last Fall and loved it, but don't really feel like paying for a new motorcycle at the moment, and want more fairing than it has.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations!!!! I have only had mine for 4 years, never test rode it before. I saw it on a picture online and I decided that was the bike I was going to buy.
This forum did help a little bit to confirm my decision ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your personal FZ6 milestone. They sure are a great motorcycle. Absolutely love mine and could not see myself selling her. Hopefully you will have another 10 years with her. :thumbup: