-1 counter sprocket Fuel Economy

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
How did going down a tooth on your front sprocket change your fuel economy, if at all? I am looking to make this change but commute about 80 miles per day and would like to keep a respectable average mpg. I would love to hear about other combination of final gearing and there result on FZ6 fuel econ too, for future reference. :thumbup:

Thanks all, Have FUN Riding SAFE!!

Frankgg

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also like to know as I currently have a -1 front sprocket and +2 rear sprocket...

Using my setup, I see:

46/16 = 2.875 drive ratio (stock)
48/15 = 3.200 drive ratio

3.200/2.875 = 11.3% difference

Does my engine have to run 11.3% faster than a stock bike to match speeds? No idea. Wind resistance is a big factor at highway speeds and is the same no matter what your drive ratio, so it might not impact MPG in a linearly fashion.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I don't bother checking the "tech" details :spank: I know I should.....

Going -1 on the front - one of the most enjoyable mods I've done. Really, with the type of riding I do, I can only comment that it absolutely powers off the line now. Obviously top end speed would have been affected, but seriously, I've never taken my girl over 200 km/h and I know it goes faster. I've only done that speed twice - once on a deserted road in Western Australia and once on a spectacular deserted road in Tasmania. There really aren't too many "safe" places to do this and I'm not generally that type of rider.... don't hold that against me :)

Obviously the speedo was out @ 11% after the sprocket change, but I bought a Speedo Healer from Jeremy on the forum and all fixed :thumbup:

Probably use a little more fuel, nothing that's going to break the bank, but that's only because I grow "devil horns" off the line LOL

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i haven't been over 115MPH (on the bike) i'm worried about long periods at say 130KPH which is normal on IH35 here and if there is any more buzz in the handlebars or anything like that

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is going to be turning about 1000more rpm at any give speed with that set up, so if you still cruise at the same speed it will be a bit more "vibes" and a loss of mpg. But you could change your cruising speed to adjust this.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Just what Chevy said! I did -1/+2 520 conversion a couple days ago. I've noticed I have to be in a gear or two higher than I usually am on certain roads. Cruising on the highway is where you'll burn up the gas.