08' FZ6-S S2 drive chain problem

wulala0001

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear All,

I have a 08' FZ6-S S2 and just barely put 3000 km on and recently, I've ran into a problem (or not). My drive chain starts normally. After a long drive in the city and the engine temp rises over 100 degrees celcius, I can hear a very obvious squeaking sound from the drive chain. Once the chain is cool off, it disappears. I don't know if anyone ran into this problem before. Is it normal or have I tightened the drive chain too tight?
Thank you so much for helping!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Heat causes metal to expand, so either your chain alignment is out of specification, or there's something faulty in the driveline.

Check the chain slack AND the chain "stretch". Information for both can be found in the manual. Then make sure the chain is properly lubed every 300~miles.

ptastuart

Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly check that the rear wheel is aligned properly with the indicators on the swing arm. Secondly there should be about 3cm play if you lift the chain up with a finger. Otherwise it could be too tight.

palmucci

Reaction score
Visit site
My sprocket was running out 1mm so Yamaha gave me a new complete back wheel ,the sprocket now has .015 runout from side to side ,not too bad but not perfect for a new bike.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Also use chain wax and not chain lube. I think wax does a better job personally.

Wax, lube, oil, scott-oiler stuff. Everyone has their own preferences for different reasons. It's one of those things like the best oil that comes up on bike forums over and over and usually gets heated! I've tried them all and prefer lube because:-

• lube sticks nearly as well as wax
  • lube is much easier to clean off than wax
  • lube penetrates better than oil
  • lube doesn't fling as much as oil/scottoiler oil flings (which get onto your tyres)
  • lube is pretty cheap as there are usually lots of deals on it

I lube my chain once a week on all my bikes and wash it with paraffin once a month and it always looks new and needs little or no adjustment.

wulala0001

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you yall for the help. After couple tries, I think it's lack of slack and the heat causes the seizure.