07 with 11k miles or new 09?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been looking through ads over the past couple weeks and been talking to the bank about securing a loan. I'm ready to pull the trigger. I was going to take a look and possibly buy a red 07 FZ6 with 4.4k miles for $3999 tomorrow. I've had my eye on it for the last few weeks and now that I got a loan, I was ready to go for it tomorrow. I called the dealer and of course, someone has already put a deposit down and will be going to check it out tomorrow. The dealer took my number in case this guy decides not to buy it. However, if that's the case, I would be somewhat concerned. If this guy decides not to buy it, then there might be something wrong with it.

Getting to my point though: I now am searching for another bike. I found a used 07 Blue FZ6 with 11k miles for $3545 and it's fairly close to my house. That seems like kind of a lot of miles (not really sure though) especially since the other 07 only had 4.4k. There's also a used 2008 Blue FZ6 with 6k miles for $4689. I don't know enough about bikes to be confident in my inspection abilities. Are there any things to look for besides scratches and the blatantly obvious stuff that would be a good indication of the condition a bike is in? How many miles is an FZ-6 usually good for?

Also, there is a dealer that is about a 2.5 hr drive from my place that has new 2009 FZ6s for $5499.

This would be my first bike obviously. I'd like some recommendations on which bikes I should look at and consider.

I can afford any of them, but obviously would prefer spending less if possible. I'm definitely open to the idea of buying a used bike.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
11k is nothing on a 07. I have close to 13 on mine, runs great. Make sure it has had oil changes etc. If the bike looks good, runs good, save the $$ and buy it. If tires are worn or other slight wear (how's the chain look? Cleaned and lubed?)you can always offer 3 cash and work up from there.
Best part is if you buy it used and don't like - sell it for close to what you paid.
On the other hand if the bike looks rode hard and put away wet - leave it.

someday

Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt think if the guy dont buy the one uve been looking at its bad he may be one thats more wanting a full fledged sport bike or something .....i mean if he leaves it it dont really mean anythings wrong besides he might not of liked the styling. my $.02

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt think if the guy dont buy the one uve been looking at its bad he may be one thats more wanting a full fledged sport bike or something .....i mean if he leaves it it dont really mean anythings wrong besides he might not of liked the styling. my $.02

thats possible. but he already put a deposit down on the bike before he went out there to take a look at it. So I'm assuming he knows what a 2007 FZ6 looks like. I could be wrong, but then again, it might not make any bit of difference if he decides to buy the bike...

Thanks for the opinions guys!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
How many miles is an FZ6 good for?

More than most of them survive, due to operator error...... without crashing it, and routine maintenance, it shouldn't need a thing for at least 25K. and then it's really just in need of a valve inspection. The bike should EASILY go 50K miles and still run quite well.

Not to bash the folks that do lots of mods to their bikes; but they last a lot longer if people just leave them alone and ride them.....

Tires will wear out much faster than that... expect 8-10K per set if you ride responsibly. 6 if you're a hot dog. If the chain is kept lubricated and not over tight, it should be good for around 25K as well.

People get so wound up about 5 or 6 K miles..... that's a good thing, if you are willing to accept that the price drop works in your favor buying used.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
save the $ and buy the 07. 11k miles is barely broken in for these bikes.

I have about 24k on my 07 and all i have done is tires, oil changes, and lube the chain. Still runs great and i am expecting about 50k before i trade it in.

if these are taken care of they will last forever.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
save the $ and buy the 07.

I'm gonna go take a look at it tomorrow hopefully. The price on the 07 is great and if the bike looks good, I'll pull the trigger. I'll put a deposit down tomorrow, close the loan with the bank on monday and hopefully pick it up monday or tuesday night... that's the plan anyways.

If I can't see it tomorrow, I'll have to check it out later this week.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
11K IS NOT a lot of miles. If it hasn't been abused, and you maintain it [it] will go 50 or more. Just a day or two ago a guy posted (on this site) the fact that he had taken his FZ6 to 40K and it was still going strong. The problem with sports and standards (especially the entry level ones) is that they're often owned by young guys who kick the snot out of them. See the videos of weelies, burning tires and the like - it's all taking miles and years off the life of the bike.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Just so you know I bought my bike with 9,000 and now have 39,000 miles on it and all thats been done is regular maintenance. If the bike has been taken care of there isn't much to worry about...the engines and everything are pretty bulletproof.