07 fz6 weird issue

bluebird

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day all. I am encountering a weird issue with my bike. I bought it with less than 2k on the odometer. So far I am at 16k. Oil changes, plugs etc I have performed. However after a 50 mile ride home from work the bike changes mood. I work near the beach so the temps are cool. As I ride home inland the temps go up. When I reach my home or even getting close and rev it a bit above 6k rpm the engine will shut off. I can start it up again and go but it only does this in hot weather. No check engine light on or anything. Does not overheat either. I don't get it. Please Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellp.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be vibration related. First check that battery connections are secure. Then a common failure on the FZ6 seems to be intermittent cutting out from the kill switch. You might try a jumper across the two wires that go to the kill switch. Check your sidestand switch.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was it stored outside at the beach before you bought it? The beach be can be brutal making metals oxidize very quickly from the salt water exposure.

Even a few months at the beach can set things in motion making them a problem later in life.

I vote with them for a look at the kill switch!

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had this same problem on my 07.. it happens when it gets really hot.. checked the fan, its working..when im pulling up to a light and pull in the clutch it just quits, starts right back up

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know I have had my (07) bike basically "at the beach" since I bought it new in 2007. Certain parts have sort of corroded - notably the rear brake and shift levers, being as they are made of cheap pot metal. I have not had the problem he describes.

I will say that after I popped on my Leo Vinces and the PCIII w/ the map supposedly for that exhaust, I sometimes have issues with the bike re-starting if the bike is warm, and it's also hot outside. Like, it can take several attempts to get it running. I believe my issue is PCIII-related.

I do agree with Cliff's advice regarding checking the kill switch as I have heard several FZ owners complain about it failing. Which is why I turn my bike on and off with my key unless there's a compelling reason to use the kill switch deliberately.

Good luck and please update this thread as you go!