07 FZ6 Rear indicators

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

In the never ending saga that is the aftermarket parts on my FZ6, the rear, cheap, badly wired indicators have given up...again.

Now these are the last after market electrical part on my bike - the others having been all removed.

So the question is, how hard is it to replace the rear indicators myself.

As far as I can tell:

1) Locate where indicator wires join the main circuit (anyone know where this might be - is it easily accessible??)
2) Unclip wires and remove indicators
3) Push new indicators into holder at the back
4) Connect wires
5) ???
6) Profit

Is it actually this easy? Does anyone have any guidelines on doing it? I am about the least mechanical person on the planet, but trying to avoid 2 trips to the mechanic in 1 week.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Arch

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Day Archeon,
I'm guessing it will not be that easy but you could get lucky.
If you could post a picture or two of the underside, it may give us a better idea of what exactly you're getting into. I need to get going, but I will follow up with more questions for you, to help us help you. :)

Edit: I want to understand more clearly... You are trying to remove a mess that someone else did before you? If so, please try posting the photos.
The photos will help us understand the mess you're in and give us better ideas of where you can mount/wire your new ones.
Do you have the Stock Rear Fender, and signal holder, or is it the fender eliminator kit that became the mess?
If you want to remove the Stock Rear Signals, I can assist with that as can many others.

CatchYa later...
JeffD

Last edited:

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, you mentioned that you haven't turned many wrenches... are you comfortable cutting, stripping, and crimping wire & connections? Is soldering out of the question for this installer?

"Bullet" or spade connectors are rather simple but can take some practice. you will need a proper crimping tool, and the male & female for 4 ends. That's 2 male on one set of wires & the female to the 2nd. Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to seal it. (Unless you have 3 wires on your UK bike for running lights as well? I do not.)

You should be able to pull this off bud, we know you can do it :)
The trickier part will be where & how you mount the new signals. Photos please if you would sir. :thumbup:

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to do essentially the same thing. The previous owner of my 08 installed a fender eliminator with LED signals (indicators). They have not failed but they are woefully dim. I've found a local guy who replaced his FZ1 rears w LEDs (he's happy with his). I've ordered a different F/E that I think will better handle the stock signals.

I don't have the stock stalks yet. So I have a few questions.

1. Do the US bikes use the rears as running lights?
2. Is it likely that the mod caused the blinker frequency to go to 4 Hz instead of 1 or 2? Is this why the resistor sets I've read about are added?

Thanks!