07 FZ6 or 09 FZ6R

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 because I'm basically a new rider. I love sportbikes, but felt it wasn't smart to start with an r6. I kinda like fairings, but I like my 07 too. I also dumped a bunch already into it, but I like the look of the 09R Is the 09 FZ6R the best of everything? Should I make a trade in?:don'tknow:
I don't know enough about them mechanically, but I've read the 09R is a step down from a tech standpoint vs. the 07, but would I even notice? Why?
I put pics of my bike(blue) vs. the black 09R:confused:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think your bike looks better than the new fully faired bike....plus i reckon that if you have got used to the power of your current FZ6, a step down in power, might be a dissapointment....would be for me.

Plus if you have put a bit of coin into your bike, keep it for a while, and get some return on your investment.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Big step down, more like a cliff. Also if you trade your bike in you are going to take a huge depreciation hit. Instead, order a Yamaha full fairing from a Canadian dealership. Yes it is expensive, however the end result is a much better bike and less cost in the long run. All equals a better value. :thumbup:

T

TheVmaxrider

:rockon:I can tell you from personal experience that it is much more rewarding to modify your current bike than it will be to get the new one. When I started heavily modifying my Vmax I had a hard time justifying to myself and Steph the money I was spending. As time has gone on I find that my Max is an extension of me because it has become my vision of what it should be. I seriously considered buying the new 09 Vmax when it was announced (actually with my Yamaha contacts I knew about its pending arrival about a year or more in advance, though I remained skeptical until the end). Steph and I had a long conversation and I came to the realization that my current Max is mine and mine alone, too much blood, sweat, tears, arguments, and time had been spent to part with it. If your 07 is your passion and the bike your REALLY want to work on and modify, keep it, spend the money, take the time, and make it your baby and you will not regret any of it. Sell it and buy a "pre-packed" concept of what you want and you will be disappointed in the end, or you will start all over again;)

When it comes right down to it the decision really rests with you and no matter what we here tell you, you have to go with your gut instincts. Whatever your decision is I wish you good luck and have fun no matter what.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll agree with Hellgate here. If you like the full fairing look, go for the optional on the FZ6. It looks better, it IS better and it will cost you less than trading in. Get yourself an R6 when you want more performance.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
+1. Overall, the FZ6R would be a step down from the FZ6 (albeit a small one). I would at least try and ride one before you make a switch.

Bottom line: Bikes are an emotional thing. Go with your gut, but try to make an informed 'gut' decision.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the day the '09s came out we started a pretty long thread about the FZ6R. initially we were all like 'holy crap what's this?!', but after checking out the specs versus the FZ6, the FZ6R quickly went from way cool to 'what is yamaha thinking?'. can't remember the details now, but if you or someone could find that thread, there are some very substantial differences and long story short the FZ6 is a better bike.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
If your 07 is your passion and the bike your REALLY want to work on and modify, keep it, spend the money, take the time, and make it your baby and you will not regret any of it. Sell it and buy a \"pre-packed\" concept of what you want and you will be disappointed in the end, or you will start all over again;)

Well said, and I totally agree. When I bought my bike, it was just another red 07 FZ6. But after the mods I've done, I made it mine, and I love the idea that there is not a single other FZ6 other that looks the same. It's unique and mine.

Whenever I buy another one, I'll do the same thing again.

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the opinions.....apparently the FZ6R isn't even available at the dealership out here yet, so I'll have a look-see when it comes and see how I feel. It's not just the fairings, but I agree the regular FZ6 faired looks great.:thumbup:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The only reason I'd consider upgrading the FZ6 would be get a version that had ABS. Not sure if the FZ6R does or not. ABS will be a requirement on my next bike.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude,
Your bike is 10 x cooler than that FZ6R will ever be. I agree with Hellgate, get a set of lowers and keep your bike.

+1.:thumbup: You know I like your bike. Don't do it. It will not be worth it in any shape, form or fasion. I plan on doing the full fairing mod when I get the coin. Hopefully, this summer.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
yeap dont need to get the fazer6r, fz6 s2 with the undertail seats are better looking than the 6r....u can get the OEM full fairing if u wanna do a full fairing