07 FZ6 broke down..

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my bike to school and back fine. There were no problems. I parked my bike in the garage when I got home to get ready for work which I had in 30 minutes.

I start my bike up and start riding down my driveway and I see this light come up. Idk what the light is for but it's the ORANGE one in the picture (internet pic not my bike). So I'm thinking wtf is this... and once I stopped my bike, my whole dash went out. I kill it, turn the key off.. then I turn the key back to on, kill switch on, and I tried to start my bike but it made a little put put sound and just sat there. Needless to say I had fun pushing the bike back up to my garage in 88 degrees :spank::spank:

So I rode my car to work and came home after 4 hours. I turn the key on, put the kill switch on and everything seemed normal, I'm looking at the dash and I see the number "12" and I BELIEVE "34" or "36" I'm not sure I only remember 12 clearly. I tried to start it up, made a weird put put put noise and it just died again.

I'm hoping it's only the battery but I highly doubt it :( If this has happened to anyone, could you tell me what you did? :confused: thanks

28sq8g3.jpg

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Based on your description, I would be willing to bet that the battery is low ( lights illuminating on the dash followed by complete shutdown screams low voltage). That coupled with the fact that it appears to be scrolling through diagnostics usually means that it does not have enough power to properly activate an read the various sensors.

I would start with charging/ testing the battery. Out of curiosity, you mention that you completed the dual headlight modification; how far do you typically ride the bike in one go? The charging system sometimes has a hard time keeping up with the additional power draw of the dual headlight mod if you are doing only shorts treks.

Let us know what you find!

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Based on your description, I would be willing to bet that the battery is low ( lights illuminating on the dash followed by complete shutdown screams low voltage). That coupled with the fact that it appears to be scrolling through diagnostics usually means that it does not have enough power to properly activate an read the various sensors.

I would start with charging/ testing the battery. Out of curiosity, you mention that you completed the dual headlight modification; how far do you typically ride the bike in one go? The charging system sometimes has a hard time keeping up with the additional power draw of the dual headlight mod if you are doing only shorts treks.

Let us know what you find!

I actually haven't completed the dual headlight mod, I wasn't getting it. I installed 6k 55W HID's and when I ride I have the highbeam on. I usually ride at least 20 minutes+ to work or wherever. I'm going to test the battery tomorrow, hopefully that's the problem.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Alright so I finally had some time to check out my battery situation today..

I tried to turn my bike on and absolutely NOTHING comes on. I connected jump cables to my bike from my car and my dash turns on. The numbers "46" and "12" come up! I remove the jump cables and tried to start it up with it going making a clicking noise trying to start. So I start it up with the cables on it and it works. I take the cables off and let it sit for a bit while running. I turn it off and leave it for about 20 minutes.

I come back and try to start my bike up, and it starts up fine now :confused:. Doesn't show the error codes or anything... I'm going to start it up again tomorrow and see if it does anything. I haven't been able to check the battery yet because I don't have a voltage reader yet :spank:

Thoughts?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Get battery tested, the click you heard was the starter attempting to engage. Check your ground wire as well as a bad connection can yield the on off crap your describing. Also you need to up your idle, letting it idle doesn't won't charge the same as if you ride it or rev it up for a bit

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted above, a simple (and FREE) load test will rule in (or out) the battery. Until that's done, your wasting your time..

Should it pass, a simple volt meter at the battery, to check the charging voltage is needed. A fully charged battery is 12.8 volts.

With the idle set at approx 12-1300 RPM's you should be charging just above that.

NOTE, You can jump and let run the bike while jumped off the auto battery, just make sure the auto ENGINE is NOT RUNNING..

Just the fact that the bike runs fine, when connected to a good battery confirms the battery or connections have failed or are failing.

Checking the voltage (that's where the volt meter is needed) at the battery while running, will rule wether there's an issue with the charging system or not (likely not).

Last edited: