06 FZ1 VS 07 FZ6 Which one???????

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy one of the above and I can't make up my mind. I had an 04FZ6 and loved it except for the brakes. Never had a FZ1 but I do have an fjr and I like having the ability to crack the throttle and zoom. I also loved the flickability of the 6 and the gas mileage 50mpg, low insurance, cheaper to buy. Don't know the flickibility of the 1 but people that have them love them. Gas mileage I hear is in the high 30's, hopefully I am wrong and I don't think I will take much of a hit on insurance since I am 58. Anyway, any advice would be extremely helpful, difference in price is $800. more for the 1 and it has power commander and exhaust, 6 is stock. Please let the good advice roll and please don't say ride them and decide. It is not an option. Thanks in advance.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you already kind of mentioned the advantage of the FZ6 vs the FZ1. Cheaper insurance, easier flickability, better gas mileage. Don't forget that the FZ1 has a smaller gas tank, so combining less MPG and a smaller tank, means filling up your bike more often. Bottom line, if you're looking to save money, go with the FZ6.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
If you already had an 04 FZ6, then you already know what you are getting, plus with the 07 you get better breaks and a better fuel map. Here is a comparison between the FZ6 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FZ6

As for the FZ1, we have had a large number of people move on to it and the forum is packed with all of the things they love about it.

In the meantime, here are the barebone numbers on the two (note some of the posters on this thread have the FZ1, you may want to PM them):
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/18587-fz1-vs-fz6-just-numbers.html

Last edited:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
If I toured more, rode 2 up, or when I decide I want more torque then I would switch to a FZ1. Right now, I do long day trips, commute, and ride solo, so the FZ6 fits the bill.

If you have a FJR then you have a great 2 up / touring bike and I think the FZ1 would be a sportier version of that.

If I had a FJR in the barn I'd use that for all my distance or two up needs and then get a FZ6 for my commuting, twisty road, or just carefree engine buzzing fun.

Then again the FZ1 would be a great hooligan bike... ah crap I don't know which I'd rather have between the FZ6 and FZ1. :D

Ride both or better yet buy both and a have a Yamaha menaja troi! :thumbup:

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the FZ1.

I rode one at the dealer a month ago. Great power down low, much smoother than the 6, and I think it looks better too...

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have and 04 FZ6 and an 07 FJR.
They do compliment each other very well.
I get tired of a large bike around town due to the extra weight and parking hassel.
The FZ6 is much more maneuverable, and more fun in the winding roads.
However the FJR is way more comfortable on rides longer than two hours,
due to the extra weight, smoothness, windshield, seat, and bags.

Therefore I think you should have all three, but I have not ridden and FZ1
or an R1. So it's up to you.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm biased. I say FZ1. :D Seriously though... The smaller tank and less MPG is a little bit of a bother at first but I am used to it now. Today's ride? 39.18 MPG. This was mostly a touring ride. I made it 148.9 miles when we stopped. I have gone up to 160 miles on a tank but that was pushing my luck.

Insurance didn't jump much at all for me. Less than $10 a month. I pay less than $600 a year but that is full coverage, 100/300/100 with a $250 deductible and a $1500 rider for mods and gear.

It's a personal choice. If you plan on doing non-aggressive driving and a lot of touring, the FZ6 will likely fit you well. If you are planning on getting closer to dragging a knee, be ready to spend a lot more on suspension and tires on the FZ6 to get it dialed in.

If you can control the throttle, and given that you've got some seniority, I think that is easy for you, and if you plan on carving corners, riding a lot of two-up, I'd spend the extra and get the FZ1. It's got a lot more torque and HP for heavier hauling. Just be prepared to stop every 135 or so miles to fill up. But, there's no worries about having the ponies to move when you need to even fully loaded down with gear and a pillion.

I think you'd do very well on the FZ1. It is a beast but she's easily tamed with a good throttle hand. ;)