06 > 07 Speedo Conversion

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
If I may revive this old thread - to clarify, the redline differences between FZ6 and FZ6R gauges (12-13K vs 14K-16K) - OK to use FZ6R gauge on FZ6? I don't really ever rev that high anyway but just wanted to be sure. Theoretically, if you used an FZ6R gauge on an FZ6 and revved it to limiter, would the needle just go past the tick marks since the FZ6 can rev higher than FZ6R?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a FZ1 speedo since last year, it's similar to Fz6r speedo with less rpm. Never tried redline but it works ok .

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While Yamaha lists the redline at 14,000 rpm, the rev limiter kicks in at 13,250. The lower range is just fine. Peek power happens around 11,750 rpm, so other than noise, there isn't much reason to rev beyond 12k.

Last edited:

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
While Yamaha lists the redline at 14,000 rpm, the rev limiter kicks in at 13,250. The lower range is just fine. Peek power happens around 11,750 rpm, so other than noise, there isn't much reason to rev beyond 12k.

Thanks, appreciate the reassurance!

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Successful gauge swap with 1 exception. The front speedo harness from the FZ6R is NOT plug and play with the FZ6 (at least not my S1). Gauge didn't work. I did, however, cut and splice, and that worked fine. There is 1 extra red/white wire on the FZ6 harness that isn't used on the FZ6R speedo harness. Everything works fine so I'm not sure what that wire goes to, but whatever.

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
A word of caution to anyone doing this swap - the FZ6R harness will not work without some modification. I was hoping I'd be able to use the FZ6R harness for a clean straightforward install but ended up with some funny and unexpected results. Link to video below

https://youtu.be/pj7gzzHoUJs

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
A word of caution to anyone doing this swap - the FZ6R harness will not work without some modification. I was hoping I'd be able to use the FZ6R harness for a clean straightforward install but ended up with some funny and unexpected results. Link to video below

https://youtu.be/pj7gzzHoUJs

Did you see my post directly above yours? That's exactly what I said happened to me.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I must be blind! Sorry about that. Did you happen to mark down how you spliced everything together?

Ha it's all good, was just a bit confused. Splicing was easy, literally just match the wire colors up. I soldered and used heat shrink tubing for an OEM-like connection. There is 1 extra red/white wire on the FZ6 harness (the bike side) that isn't used on the FZ6R speedo harness, which I just left cut and sealed with heat shrink. Everything works now perfectly. When I first connected it before I did the splicing, my gauge acted exactly the same way as yours does in your video. Splicing is the simple solution, takes maybe 30 mins. I could have just bought the correct FZ6 harness, but I already had the FZ6R harness, which works on the bike plug side, so I didn't want to waste any more money on this swap and just decided to splice.

si-15

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished my conversion (on an '06 FZ6). It wasn't too bad at all. An accident causing the destruction of my original gauge prompted this.

I purchased a cluster from a 2012 FZ6R (they are the same as the 2nd gen FZ6 clusters). The FZ8 and FZ1 clusters should also work, the FZ8 one just has a white face instead of black.

Since the 1st gen FZ6 cluster has two connectors on the back, and the 2nd gen cluster has 1 connector, the easiest thing to do is to get the front section of the wiring harness from a 2FZ6 or FZ6R. The 2 connectors on the back of the harness that connect to the main harness are the same in the 1FZ6, 2FZ6, FZ6R. Your 1 connector now works with your new cluster. It's plug and play. Everything worked exactly as intended on my new gauge. The only thing is your odometer will be incorrect, naturally.

my bike now:
SiJcxoY.jpg

73O8DkO.jpg

new gauge, it has one 16-pin connector on the back
zXElCDa.jpg

updated wiring harness sections you need to get, note the black connector in the middle on the bottom, that's the 16-pin gauge connector
sCEoPZc.jpg

here's the two back connectors that connect to the main wiring harness, they are the same on 1FZ6 and 2FZ6
oaT6xQh.jpg

even the service manual and wiring diagrams show that they are pretty much interchangeable....
IyhlOyX.jpg

This is an awesome walk through, just wondering (probably a stupid question) what happens to the mileage on this? Will it retain the mileage from the new odo or your actual mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
This is an awesome walk through, just wondering (probably a stupid question) what happens to the mileage on this? Will it retain the mileage from the new odo or your actual mileage?

retains mileage from new speedometer, odo data isn't stored on ecu or anything. So make a note of your new and old mileage to keep track of things.