'05 vs. '08 FZ6

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I have been away from riding for a couple years and I'm planning to purchase a used FZ6 in the near future. I've narrowed my search to a couple bikes for sale in my area:

'05 Blue FZ6 (4k mi) for $3500

'08 Black FZ6 (7k mi) for $4000

They both appear to be in good mechanical condition, in basically stock configuration. I've always preferred the look of the 04/05 bikes with the silver frame/engine/wheels, but I've read the FI and throttle response are improved on the '07 and later models. From what I've read, throttle response is the major shortfall of the FZ6. I'm looking for some input from anyone here who's ridden both the 04/05 model and the '07+ model. Is there enough improvement in the newer model to spend the extra dough, or should I get a lightly used beautiful blue and silver '05?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the 2008.... better brakes, updated fairing, analog tach instead of the funky digital one, and updated ecu mapping.

$500 more for a bike thats 3 years newer is a no brainer. I love my 2008 FZ6!

Last edited:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I have on '04 which is essentially the same and I would definitely go with the '08 for numerous reasons. I mean its only $500 more and has major improvements. Either way you will enjoy both bikes

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd go with the '08, even though like you I like the silver frame and motor far better than all blacked out.

The fairing is more expensive to replace on the '08 vice the earlier design; but the price on the '05 is too high. Both of them have very nearly no miles at all. The '08 is reasonably priced, IMHO.

I wouldn't be concerned about throttle action on the '05, it's better than the majority of bikes I rode in the mid 80's. Same with the brakes, and suspension action. Both bikes are pretty good, for price point components.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 vote for the 2008.

I read through the wikipedia article before looking at bikes, and that made me decide that I wanted an 07 or newer. You might even be able to get the guy with the 08 to come down a bit on that price if you're a good negotiator.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get the 08 yet? If you didn't, go get it!!!!! ;)

Picking it up tomorrow. Got it for $3799. The all-black looked a lot better in person than in pictures. Other than a rear tire that's fairly worn, it's in perfect condition. Only mod is a taller windscreen.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
bloody hell dont want to sound like the "odd bod" i own the 2005 and my friend has the 2008 and i got to admit i perer everything on mine :D feels bigger and meater at the front, gives me more feel for the front of the bike and i simply love the digital speedo on it. even prefer the shape and design. :ban:

Thats just me, congratz on the purchase either way, Fazers rule! :BLAA:

Dan