05 - R6s fork conversion question

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the R6s forks and brakes with the master cylinder/lever still attached. So, here is a question :

My 05 has twin-pot brakes up front, should I use the R6 master cylinder/lever for the 4-pot calipers instead of the ones on my bike?

Reasons that support the change :
- Stock part, so maybe better suited for the 4-pot calipers

And reasons not to change :
- Relatively less work and less expensive (for the R6 one, I have to get matching levers and the reservoir)

Brakes were one of the most important reasons why I finally thought of the upgrade, so what do you guys think?

Note : I tried searching, but could not find anything regarding this. And also on the fork oil change on the R6S forks. So any links, if available is greatly appreciated :thumbup: .

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The brake calipers on the R6S are the same as on the 07-09 FZ6, so people with the Gen2 don't even need new calipers for the fork swap. Check ronayers to verify that the MC for the 06 is the same for the 07, and you'll know for sure. As far as I'm aware, usually the MC's aren't swapped for the fork swap.

Regarding the fork oil change, same as any other non-upside-down forks, there's tons of how-to's online.
Also, R6S for springs stock are .85's - if you're over 200lbs, you might want to get stiffer springs while you're at it.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Matt, the Master cylinder part numbers are all same for 05/06/07/08. So, one less thing to change. :thumbup:

Also, I have gone through the complete cycle of upgrading the stock forks - oil/springs/preload/emulator. Got it a lot better than the stock ones, but now the brakes seem to be the weaker link and hence the upgrade. Based on what you say, oil change should be quite simple on the R6s too. BTW, I weigh about 175pounds without gear, so hopefully the springs should hold fine.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not aware of anyone swapping MC or having ill effects from OEM MC.

IIRC, the MC bore diameter is the same from FZ to R but no R FSM w/me to verify that...

Fork oil. Nothing more than 7.5 wt and be sure to set the damping rod depth to the cap as explained in FSM for R6. 11mm depth comes to mind. If off, rebound damper valve can be inoperable or damaged. Damage if rod is too deep in the cap.

Use a zip tie to on the stanchion tube to obtain about 32 - 35 mm of sag. And if the bike sag is 5-10 your springs are OK for you.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Completed the swap this weekend and took it for a spin on the roller-coaster called Rt555 here. I must say that the swap is waaaay better than the spring/oil/preload upgrades on the stock forks. And thanks to Brad(dako81) for the fender adapter/spacer kit, they fit great.

The dive is finally gone and braking does not affect the front end as much (like collapsing) as the stock ones did. The brakes feel great too - maybe the combination of not diving too much encourages a bit more squeeze on the lever which assists in quicker loss of speed.

No setup/adjustments done yet, will do as I get over this new toy feeling and learn a bit more on what it needs. Will post a picture soon.

Oh, folks in/around Ohio - Rt 555 has new asphalt for most (>80%) of the way.