'05 FZ6 Mods

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow Fizzer enthusiasts! I have done my tax return this year, and as such am planning some more mods to my Fizzer that I would like to get thoughts and opinions on please.

My Fizzer, as it sits, is already modified - a bit - but I have the following proposed additions.

As my bike is nearing the 42000kms 'Major' service ($600!), I am thinking of getting tyres (Metzeler Z8s), I'm going to go 520 pitch chain/sprockets, stiffer fork springs, All-Balls tapered headstem bearings, stainless brake lines and finally fit my Renthal Road Medium 'bars with OURY grips (and might put the Throttle Tamer I bought on too!)

So, as I said, the tyres are sorted - Metzeler Z8s at a cost of $480 fitted.

The Front Sprocket will be a Vortex 17T ($60)
The Rear Sprocket will be a SuperSprox Stealth (Tri-Metal) 46T ($100)
The Chain will be ? (I'm thinking RK GB520GXW ($155), but would like opinions, the D.I.D. is much cheaper, and available locally, but the RK is alleged to have longer life.....)

I'm looking for 0.95mm/kg springs (RaceTeck FRSP S3732095) and probably go 5wt fork oil. ($120+shipping)

I like the look of the WezMoto brake line kit (it's cheaper - and apparently ALL stainless, inc banjoes etc) ($110)

So, with the wealth of knowledge on here, I'm hoping for any opinions or advice based on the above - I'd really not like to get it all, and find out I SHOULD have gotten something different....

Cheers,
Rick

My Fizzer:
WP_000321.jpg

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I am nearing the same service. Any reason you are going with the vortex front sprocket? A normal sunstar one will be just as good as it and less then half the price. And the 520 conversion? The 530 chain is longer lasting and stronger but if its weight savings your after the 520 is perfect. Regarding chains the DID chains seam to outlast the RKs by a fair bit in my experience.
The head stem bearing replacement is a good idea I am doing the same. As well as fork oil (no springs they are great for what I do).
I'm also sticking a set of led blinkers on, regressing the swing arm, repacking the mufflers, BMC air filter and a power commander with a dyno tune.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Vortex front sprocket, as it's the ONLY 520 17T I could find!

I'm at 38000kms on the original 530 chain and sprockets - and it's not needed adjustment for at least 16000kms that I've owned the bike - so even if the 520 doesn't last as long, I should still get good life out of it!

Interesting to see your opinion of the DID chains, as it's only $100 vs $155 for the RK! Be nice to save some coin, but I was of the impression that the GB520GXW chain was uber long-lasting?

What do you mean by regressing the swing-arm? If you mean repacking (regreasing) the swing-arm bearings, then that is getting done during the 42000kms service.

I put a PCIIIusb on my bike when I got the Scorpion cans, and it made it run WAY to rich, even on the base Scorpion mufflers map - so I pulled it off.

I DID consider getting it dynoed, but don't know if I want to spend ANOTHER $350!

I already have a K&N HiFlow air filter, so that is unnecessary for me.

I wouldn't mind getting some decent flush-mount indicators, at least for the front - if I can find a set I like, so if you find some, please post pics.

I'm also considering a fender-eliminator, but the po po have no sense of humour about it. (rear mudguard must protrude to no less than 45° from the rear axle with the bike level....)

Cheers,
Rick

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I ment regreasing but my iPhone likes dry bearings and autocorrcted it.
Yamaha use did chains as stock on all their bikes so the one that has lasted that long without adjustment is a did unless the previous owner swapped it. You should be able to get one in the same rating as the rk. Im working today so I will looks up and see if anyone else does the sprocket and what number chain is equal.
Even though it was done not long ago make sure they do a throttle body sync after the valves. Especially if they have to change any shims.
Have you asked how much to do the things that you can't do and do the things you can yourself? That will probably save a bucketload of they don't have to do the oil and filter etc.
Then you might have enough saved for a dyno tune :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of notes, for what it's worth.

How about R6 forks? As you get the better brakes too.

If you do the fork springs only, 5wt oil it too light. Begin with 10 and see what you think.

On the PC3, if you still have it, try one of the custom maps posted on the forum. The maps from DynoJet are pig rich.

Happy tuning! :thumbup:

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the idea Hellgate, but in Oz, second-hand/used parts pricing makes this not an option. Even if I got the forks for a good price, I'd still have to redo them anyway, so this seems like the best option.

Thanks for the feedback on fork-oil weight. I know stock has 0weight, and I was a bit worried about overdampening them.

As for the PC3 maps, I wasn't aware they were popularly known as making the bike run rich. When I got the PC3 and Scorpion cans from the same seller, I also got his dynotune map loaded on the PC3, which I noticed did have several minus values compared to the base Scorpion map. (his was a later model, with O2 sensor etc)

After the increased fuel consumption and obvious rich state, I just thought it best to remove the PC3 and either sell it, or get the bike dynoed with it on.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump!

I'm looking to get as much of the above done in the next couple of weeks as my budget will allow - seriously open to suggestion and/or advice please.

Cheers,
Rick