05 - frame question

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The frame on my 05 Fz6 is slightly out of alignment at the steering - with the right half of the frame a slightly raised(a mm or less) compared to the left half of the frame. I do not feel any play in the steering itself because of this, neither is the steering misaligned. Is it easy to get it aligned myself or should I take it to a dealership?

If it is manageable, any pointers on how best to go about it will be very helpful.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The frame on my 05 Fz6 is slightly out of alignment at the steering - with the right half of the frame a slightly raised(a mm or less) compared to the left half of the frame. I do not feel any play in the steering itself because of this, neither is the steering misaligned. Is it easy to get it aligned myself or should I take it to a dealership?

If it is manageable, any pointers on how best to go about it will be very helpful.

Are you talking about the split between the two halves of the frame where they press together?

How'd you discover/measure this?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Yes, please explain how it is you are measuring. Pictures perhaps??

If you left the steering head together and took out all the other bolts and one frame side went bong into the air 7mm by the upper rear engine mount; that would be a concern!
- Because its a cast frame; it will likely have a crack in it before such distortion occurs. Please advise.. .. ..

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the split/join at the steering. I have not measured it, but the right half of the frame "looks like" a bit raised compared to the left side. Other way to put it - there is a visible step where the two halves meet.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
This is speculation - but assuming that you haven't messed with the security bolts, it's the way it should be. The two halfs are made together and mate for life, and if you're not having any issues and the bolts are all still there holding it tight, I'd leave it alone!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

This is a definite case where pictures will help solve your issue.
Please post up.

Neil:thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

This is a definite case where pictures will help solve your issue.
Please post up.

Neil:thumbup:

Here?
picture.php

Hmm - so behind the cables.... Is there where your talking about?
picture.php

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
The halves bolt together so as long as there are still bolts there and there is no gap horizontally I'm not sure if there would be any issue.....?

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
This is speculation - but assuming that you haven't messed with the security bolts, it's the way it should be. The two halfs are made together and mate for life, and if you're not having any issues and the bolts are all still there holding it tight, I'd leave it alone!

Brings back memories of a post on here about loosening them in order to remove the steering head races/bearings........some bolts I would just never touch.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the image :thumbup: - that is exactly how it looks. Also,the bolts do not look like they have ever been tampered with, so maybe I will just let it be. Its just one of those feelings which keep popping up everytime I see the difference, I feel that it should be perfectly matching. I will post the picture once I get back to my bike this Friday.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Each half of the frame is cast, machined and bolted together. Once together, further machining (for the steering races) is likely done.

The slight outside offset is normal (just extra cast aluminum) and doesn't make a difference. The machined parts are what counts.

:Sport:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen it in person as well, and of the 5 or so other fz6's I've looked at, I have not seen another offset like his. I think the only true way to get a good look would be to put the front end at parade rest.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen it in person as well, and of the 5 or so other fz6's I've looked at, I have not seen another offset like his. I think the only true way to get a good look would be to put the front end at parade rest.

There really shouldn't be any slop or play to adjust.

If you really want to verify, pull the upper and lower steering races (that get hammered into the frame) and check the machined surface of the frame where the RACE BOTTOMS OUT. That of course should be dead smooth.

If its not, perhaps someone swapped half the frame...:(

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it bothers you and the head set has ANY funny business going on, it just takes a minute to set the top triple aside and inspect the bearing. I.e. snug down the adjusting nut a tad. It should increase the turning resistance in a linear manor. If it gets all crunchy I'd open it and inspect. Drop the forks.

I've seen about 8 of our bikes and never seen that offset in the manor your speaking of. It seems suspcious like maybe what Scott said, a frame rail was swapped.
What do you know about its history?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the invite Joe. How about the AMA weekend - after the race?

The ticket is yours if you want it, but I'm tied up most of saturday. I can txt you my my eta for sat and we can go from there.
That prob won't be a good weekend to do it, saturday is shot and we won't be back til late on sunday.

Last edited:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the pics :
FToreLRlCVvnmlqTB2i8UcMZad4_pM71KuIv1he55yE

And from below :
Rv7V8fucty81gce-H46RScMZad4_pM71KuIv1he55yE

Bottom
Well the washers and bolts dont look stock on your tank for whatever thats worth. However if the bolts pass through?
Townsend also made a reference to the casting process.....the manufacturers aren't all that concerned about the excess portions on the outer edges....tolerances are larger.....it's the inside which counts.

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the washers and bolts dont look stock on your tank for whatever thats worth. However if the bolts pass through?.

True, I had put new washers after one of the bolt/washers was lost. I might be that the assembly of the two halves was sloppy, but the internals might be all lined up properly. I plan to check it once I get sometime to remove the fork/triple.