'02 Ninja 250 rider, looking to move up to '05 FZ6!

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

My name is Paul. I'm a full time student from NJ, and this is my second year of riding!

My first bike was a 2002 Ninja 250. It has been a blast going from four wheels to two! I had a lot of fun, but I've quickly grown to wanting more power over the last two summers of riding, and also wouldn't mind fuel injection lol.

My only demands were to find another bike which also had an upright riding position. My friend let me ride his CBR600 once, but I felt like I was sitting on the bike, rather than riding it :rolleyes:.

My first choice was a Ninja 650R, because naturally this is the way that most Ninja 250 riders go. It has a parallel twin engine, which I'm guessing is similar to the 250's inline twin, so power would be even across the RPM. It seems like a great choice, but I did my research, and I also came across the FZ6. The FZ6 seems to be a tad faster (above 8k RPM) with a similar comfortable riding position. I quickly began searching for 650R's and FZ6's in my area.

Update: I made this thread a couple of weeks ago when I was debating on picking up a silver FZ6 in my area. I ended up waiting a few weeks and picked up a red FZ6. So please disregard the '05 FZ6 I was considering. I now have a red '07 :).

I am test riding an '05 FZ6 tomorrow with around 3k miles on it! :D:D

I have a few questions that I hope could get answered!

1.) The seller is asking $3950 for the bike, so I put in an offer of $3500, and he said yes, that was his bottom line price so he'd accept the offer :D. Is $3500 a good deal for an '05 FZ6 with 3,000 miles? If it were an '07, I'd say it was a definite yes, but it's the older unrevised design, so I'm not sure :confused:.

2.) I know that quite a few revisions were made to the FZ6 in 2006, and even more in 2007! Is it smarter for me to save up a little bit more and find an '06 or '07? Will I regret going with the old 2005 version with the unrevised windscreen, front brake calipers, swing arm, seat design, etc? What about the unrevised fuel mapping of the '05?

Thank you! :D

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I very recently (A few weeks ago) sold my '03 Ninja 250 and got an '05 FZ6. At first the power was scary, but I've gotten used to it. The seating position is even more upright than the ninja 250, very comfortable. Easy to do low speed maneuvers. Under 7K rpm, the FZ6 has plenty of power for day to day riding and highway passing, and great pickup at any rpm compared to the 250. Above 7K RPM, it's clear there's an R6 engine between your legs and you are GONE! You are going to love the crap out of it. Took me a few weeks but now I feel as comfortable on my new bike as on the 250. The lack of power will not be missed. And the sound of an inline 4, even with the stock exhaust, is intoxicating.

Oh yeah, I'm 5' 10" and 200 pounds and the bike barely feels my weight.

I paid $3,300 for my bike with 13K miles on the clock. Perfect condition.

Last edited:

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Where in nj ? I think you could find an 07 for about $3500 to $4000 if you look and are wiling a few hours.

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
Where in nj ? I think you could find an 07 for about $3500 to $4000 if you look and are wiling a few hours.
Hello there Ben, that would be great to find an '07 for that price, but I'm having a hard time finding one. I guess because of the warm weather hitting us a bit early this year, people are raising their prices. The asking price for an '07 or newer FZ6 ranges from $5000 to $6000. Now of course they're not actually selling at that price :rolleyes:, but the sellers are still holding the prices high. All the bikes I have called are still for sale, but they are holding firm on those prices :/.

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $4000 for an fully loaded 07... beginning of February.
I dont live anywhere near NJ, but locally I found the same problem, people wanted $5500-7000+ for 05 and newer. I was looking all Fall and then found my bike. tons and tons of extras, low miles, at a great price. If you're patient, you will find the right bike for you.

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
I very recently (A few weeks ago) sold my '03 Ninja 250 and got an '05 FZ6. At first the power was scary, but I've gotten used to it. The seating position is even more upright than the ninja 250, very comfortable. Easy to do low speed maneuvers. Under 7K rpm, the FZ6 has plenty of power for day to day riding and highway passing, and great pickup at any rpm compared to the 250. Above 7K RPM, it's clear there's an R6 engine between your legs and you are GONE! You are going to love the crap out of it. Took me a few weeks but now I feel as comfortable on my new bike as on the 250. The lack of power will not be missed. And the sound of an inline 4, even with the stock exhaust, is intoxicating.

Oh yeah, I'm 5' 10" and 200 pounds and the bike barely feels my weight.

I paid $3,300 for my bike with 13K miles on the clock. Perfect condition.
Thank you! That's what I like to hear :D.

I paid $4000 for an fully loaded 07... beginning of February.
I dont live anywhere near NJ, but locally I found the same problem, people wanted $5500-7000+ for 05 and newer. I was looking all Fall and then found my bike. tons and tons of extras, low miles, at a great price. If you're patient, you will find the right bike for you.
I am glad I joined the forums! I had no idea that $3500 wasn't as much of a good deal as I originally thought. I'd say though that $3500 with 3k miles is probably the best deal I can find in NJ right now. March normally isn't this warm, so I thought I was actually going to pick up a bike before the 60 and 70 degree weather came! I guess I should've started looking a during Jan or Feb :surrender:.

Ironically I saw that one last weekend, but my bike search started a few days after it sold :(.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I think $3500 is an ok price would be better if there are mods included. Don't be fooled about the mileage a bike with 3k is no better than a bike with 12k. I looked at a Honda vfr800 that had 17 miles and was 4 years old great price but because of age the tire were dry rotted and battery was shot. Low miles mean bike sits and does not get use.

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist
I always look for things using craigslist, this site checks all the craigs within a given area. In the city all the bikes were out of my price range, but by using this site I found mine a couple hours at a very reasonable price.
** I do not own or have anything to do with searchtempest, I just find it really handy.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Price is OK, but if you're not in a rush, you should definitely be able to find a 07 for 3.5k.. don't be afraid of miles too. 10k is nothing for this bike.
One of major reasons why I wanted 07+.. I wasn't happy with older style gauge cluster.. it's very cool looking, but in bright sun I could barely see the RPM :don'tknow:

I sold my 07 with 10k miles in pretty much mint condition (never dropped.. no scratches) for 3.5k. It was converted to a streetfighter though.

Nothing wrong with pre-07 bikes, but personally I would save up if I couldn't find 07 for 3.5.

Oh and ex250 to FZ6 is a great move.. I went the same route (now on FZ1). :thumbup:

You should join FZ6ers for a group ride one day.. we get together every now and then and head out from central NJ for 5-6 hours :D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
$3,500 does seem a bit much. Noticed the rear hugger and chain guard is missing. Does the owner have it? If it is perfect I might be tempted. I came from a 2007 Ninja 250 so have some idea of what you will experience. Above 8,000 the power should be a BIG difference. My 04 will pull the front wheel up in first with a tank bag and just rolling the throttle wo. Have 31,000 miles on mine and it has been great. I have replace the steering head bearings, chain, sprockets, swing arm plus all the normal maintenance. If the tires are the originals you will need to replace them immediately - 7 years old is too old to trust your life with. The 2007 and newer models are very similar but have smoother throttle response and better mid-range power (no flat spot) from what I hear. Unless you have proof that all of the maintenance is up to date you will also need to change all fluids (oil, brake & anti-freeze). Color is personal but I like the silver engine and frame on the early models.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I now have a red '07 FZ6 :)! The blue and silver FZ6 bikes discussed below in this post no longer apply. I passed on those bikes due to either price or mileage. Thanks you!

Thank you again everyone for all the help! :D
I decided not to see the FZ6 today.

don't be afraid of miles too. 10k is nothing for this bike.
What about 30k? :eek:

I found a "showroom condition" 2007 FZ6 for sale for $3000 :). Apparently it's in great shape, and it has all the newer revisions that the '05 did not have. However, the mileage is quite far from new. I know the FZ6/R6 engine is pretty solidly made, but that's a lot of miles and quite honestly scares me. Don't engines lose compression with high mileage? Will this bike be slower than one with half the miles?

My Uncle taught me an old rule of thumb a few years ago that states that "10k on a bike equates to 100k on a car," because a bike will most likely be pushed much harder than a car normally will. So in theory, if this saying even still applies, the bike has the equivalence of a car with 300k? :eek:

Seller says that, "Maintence has been on time have all service records no scratches no dents showroom condition. Bikes in excellent condition, needs nothing. Bike was appraised by local dealer for $3500. Must go. Bike has 30,000 miles on it. Even with the miles bike is still worth $3500."

So my choices are to go with the '05 with 3k miles for $3500, or go with the '07 with 30k miles for $3000, or just keep searching.

I only have one picture of the '07 for now, but speaking of pictures, I want to thank PhotoAl for noticing that the '05 FZ6 was missing the chain guard. Hopefully his eyes, (along with everyone else!) can help locate any unusual things with this '07 :thumbup: I don't know the bike well enough to know if something is missing or wrong :/.

Note: I am also waiting on more/bigger pictures :(.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
30k is not a lot if the bike was well taken care of. Plenty of folks on here have way more than that on their bikes without issues.
3k for 07 with 30k in clean shape would be a pretty fine deal. Get someone who knows what FZ6 should feel like to test-ride it :)

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
He is asking three so you could probably talk him down some. Make sure he has had the valves adjusted I think it is 20,000 miles, check the steering head bearings seems like the main thing you see people post about on here the need fixed.

mixtape

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I now have a red '07 FZ6 ! The blue and silver FZ6 bikes discussed below in this post no longer apply. I passed on those bikes due to either price or mileage. Thanks you!

He is asking three so you could probably talk him down some. Make sure he has had the valves adjusted I think it is 20,000 miles, check the steering head bearings seems like the main thing you see people post about on here the need fixed.
He was originally asking $3300, but when I asked if he was negotiable with the price, he said that $3000 would be the lowest he would take.

I actually asked him in an email if the valves had been checked, because I think the shop manual calls for valve clearance servicing/adjustments at 26,000 miles. His response was "Maintence has been on time have all service records" which means he is either avoiding the answer, or has no idea lol. I'll have to take a look at the service records he's speaking of in person. I have not heard of the head bearing issue though.

What are some symptoms of unchecked/unadjusted valves and head bearings? I'm no mechanic, so there's a strong possibility I wouldn't be able to tell. Any idea how much a Yamaha dealer would charge for valve check and head bearing check?

30k is not a lot if the bike was well taken care of. Plenty of folks on here have way more than that on their bikes without issues.
3k for 07 with 30k in clean shape would be a pretty fine deal. Get someone who knows what FZ6 should feel like to test-ride it :)
If he does in fact have records that state proper service, then I can hopefully assume that he at least took some care of it. Unfortunately none of my friends have ridden/seen an FZ6 before (they're super sport GSXR and CBR guys).

Welcome! Congrats on your FZ6!
Not quite mine, yet ;)

Last edited: