Colorado fires.....

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. So the garden hose isn't the answer as I figured.

I do have a "pipe" dream that would solve two major issues facing our country in one shot; a large pipeline running from the Mississippi, west. This water would then be distributed throughout at risk dry areas that are engulfed in flames every year.

Billions/trillions of gallons of water could be pulled from the river throughout the year, filling dozens of reservoirs. Then, in anticipation of the fire season, wooded areas can be presoaked in a grid pattern to limit damage.

This sounds crazy. That's because it IS crazy. But a lot spent on preventative measures would be compensated by the amount saved on reactive. When you add in the devastation, heartache, and lives saved, it's win-win in both regions.

I'll call the army corps of engineers. You're welcome. :)

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be a little nervous now, but I think the panic would set it when you can actually see parts of the flames.

Get your bike and ride otta there!

Hope it passes you, or is put out before then!

MrMattster

Reaction score
Visit site
just a note that I'll add for you. There happens to be a sizable quarry right between you and the fire..its not a complete fire break but if it comes to that I'm sure it will be very helpful...not that I wouldn't have all the valuable gadgets and important documents neatly packed up just in case...and I know of the quarry b/c I've worked there..

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just a note that I'll add for you. There happens to be a sizable quarry right between you and the fire..its not a complete fire break but if it comes to that I'm sure it will be very helpful...not that I wouldn't have all the valuable gadgets and important documents neatly packed up just in case...and I know of the quarry b/c I've worked there..

Yeah, the quarry just above Mtn. Shadows?!?....and I'm not really worried about it anymore. When it broke out on Saturday, I was a bit nervous, it looked a whole lot closer that day. But I rode east a bit on Sunday and snapped a pic (previous page) to see exactly where it was.
And as far as I know, no homes burned or injuries have been reported.

And :welcome: to the forum Mr Mattster :)

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just letting you all know that I learned today that our much loved forum family member & dear friend Brenda & her husband John have been evacuated from their home :eek: :eek: :eek:

Im sure she could use all our hopes & or prayers & well wishes at the moment , I sort of know what her & John are going through having been through the floods here. The worry & "not knowing" takes its toll :(

I'll keep you all posted if I hear anymore before she returns :thumbup:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
All our family's hopes and prayers go out to Brenda and John...
Let's hope for the best, that they needed to evacuate because of the smoke contamination and not due to direct fire hazzard....

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if the winds do what the weathermen say they are supposed to do today, the fire will stay on Forest Lands.
Last night the smoke was very heavy here, but today, it's clear, so I hope that's a good indication.
No word yet as to what caused this one, but the skies have been clear, so I know it wasn't lightening.

WALDO CANYON FIRE EVACUATIONS, CLOSURES | road, garden, shadows - UPDATE - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

9 times out of 10 it's idiot smokers who throw cigars out their open car window right into the dry grass on the shoulder of the road... I've actually seen it happen from a car in front of me while stopped in traffic and I had to help put out the would be brush fire!

My brother owns a house in Colorado Springs but fortunately he is not living there right now.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just letting you all know that I learned today that our much loved forum family member & dear friend Brenda & her husband John have been evacuated from their home :eek: :eek: :eek:

Im sure she could use all our hopes & or prayers & well wishes at the moment , I sort of know what her & John are going through having been through the floods here. The worry & "not knowing" takes its toll :(

I'll keep you all posted if I hear anymore before she returns :thumbup:

This is so NOT cool. Thanks for letting us know.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
9 times out of 10 it's idiot smokers who throw cigars out their open car window right into the dry grass on the shoulder of the road

A few years ago in Cape Town a motorist threw a cigarette butt out of a car window on the Table Mountain cable car road and was spotted by a ranger, who radioed ahead and he was arrested further down the road. This was in the midst of fire season and the local authorities were encouraging people to call in and "shop" drivers who did this. The mountain vegetation is notoriously flammable and a woman subsequently died in the fire, I heard that charges were laid against the motoring pyromaniac.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Prayers with you and John, Brenda. I am glad you evacuated, and certainly hope your beautiful home is still standing when you return.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I just found this and see you guys have been evacuated, I hope it turns out to be one of those "better safe than sorry" cases!

I got my fingers crossed for ya B!

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i feel for you brother, the bastrop fires last year threatened my mothers home, the home i grew up in:(. i had friends whose houses were so close they could hear propane tanks blow up down the street.

be safe, be smart

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its really hard to have to pack up and leave your home...if you even get enough time to pack up. Three times in my career I've had to evacuate from hurricanes, usually the last to leave too.

Fires are as bad as hurricanes, all you can do is hope for the best and expect the worst.

I hope you and John are making out ok!