Howling noise??

killshot1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys looking for advice on an 2006 fz6 with 13500 kms. Just purchased bike 2 weeks ago and i notice a slight howling noise that starts at 70 km/h and gets loudest at 78-80 km/h and starts to quiet up at about 85 km/h but do i still hear it at 100km/h as well. Doesn't matter what gear i am in or rpm just road speed.

I have put the bike on stands and checked bearings for wear and tear and i cannot feel any play that i can tell. does sound more like the front end area from what i can tell riding.
I can hear the brakes drag when rolling the bike around the driveway but i just did a test ride for 20 kms and did not use the front brakes and they were still cool to the touch. with the bike on stands the front wheel spins 3-4 times without issue. Tires are decent and are pumped up to proper psi to take the wife for rides as well. Chain seems ok maybe a hair snug but looks fairly new and lubricated.

My last bike was a zx6r and i did not have any noises like that. The howling sounds overpowers the engine sound at those specific speeds.

Just wondering if you any of you guys have had a similar issue and if so what should i look at or check out on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Could it be a misadjusted chain? I've heard terrible noise from over tightened chains done at tire shops etc.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you search the forum you should find a thread with specs.:D Like 1.75- 2 inches slack while on the center stand.

Also rotate the wheel to different parts of the chain. If you get too much variation it may be time to get a new chain and possibly sprockets.

Last edited:

Kenfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also check the tires for cupping or strange wear. I had a Sportster that would howl between 45 and 55 mph that was so bad I would not ride in that speed range. The front had gotten pretty cupped, and a new tire fixed the noise.

killshot1

Reaction score
Visit site
ok right arm i will check that too. how can you tell if they are actually cupped tho? is that just unusual shaping of the tires?
tires on the bike are mismatched but the rear looks fairly new. front seems like an overseas brand name but based on tread i thought i could get another couple seasons out of it with out issue.
Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The chain is the usual suspect not being clean, not lubricated and usually too tight.

When checking the chain adjustment (cleaned and lubricated), find the tightest spot and measure that for TOTAL up and down play.
As Cliff noted, 2" total is the magic #.

Tire cupping as well can make odd noises, handlebar "shimmy" when decelerating as well. Where ever there is a tire groove, the adjacent groove will be worn down. The more "cross tire" grooves(if that makes sense), the more the tires will cup...

Some close up pic's of your chain / sprockets and front tire may help us on this end...

killshot1

Reaction score
Visit site
hey so i finally got around to checking the chain. it was too tight as you guys suggested. i adjusted to 2 inches of play and did a test run and most of the noise is now gone. there is a faint howl between 70-80 but it doesn't last as long, more so when off the throttle and i can barely hear it compared to before the adjustment. i will do a complete chain conditioning on it soon as well. thanks alot guys!