r1 shock

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
those of us that ride track and push ourselves probably want an aftermarket shock due to dampening issues. without proper dampening the wheel isnt on the ground as much as it could be. that either destroys soft tires early or makes finding traction and feedback hard to do. thats why racers pay so much money for a high end suspension. and the FZ6 shock cant really get any worse for its dampening characteristics.
so to those that cant afford an ohlins and dont want to sacrifice the possible and likely geometry issues with an r6 shock might have an answer. an R1 shock has 5.1" of travel instead of the 4.7" of the R6. the problem with an R6 shock is that the bolt holes dont match our shock, they're about 10mm shorter on the r6. that would lower the bike, extend the wheelbase, and make it even slower to turn. you could take the 10mm out with preload, but that is likely to put a strain on the valving taking it back to square one. but since the R1 is the same as ours (5.1" of travel) it might just work...and work right. i dont have one yet despite one can be picked up all day from ebay for $20-50. as well im 100% that they'll need a new, heavier spring than stock to get the proper sag. all in all it should cost no more than $200. now if you're not familiar with the R6 modifications you have to do, you def need to keep that in mind.

1. you have to use a vertical reservoir. an r1 only used them from 98-03.
2. you have to cut a piece of the subframe to fit the reservoir, as well as the tire hugger and underseat plastic.

ill keep this thread updated as i get it all sorted for myself. right now all mods are done to the bike to fit it as ive already tried an R6 shock.

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
ill get pics when i get time to take them right and all that. id also like to add that you may not need a new spring if you're not a fat *** like me :) if you weigh around 150lbs the stock one maybe just right...maybe. if not the fz6 spring should also work on the R1 shock but it wont have the same strength. if you need more than about 4-5 on the preload to get your sag dialed in it probably wont work. either way a new spring from racetech is 110 bucks.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
this looks every promising. but if you were to get another spring probably a ractech... would they be able to account for fact that it's an R1 shock on an FZ6? or is it gonna be a guessing game?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So about this cutting the subframe deal. This is because of clearance issues with the resivor on the shock? If this is the case, what about a remote mount style. I dont know of any shocks off the top of my head that are remote mount (there is another word for that) But could this be done and not cut the subframe?

-bryan

Galavoxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Go check out this thread. It will tell you more about why you have to cut.

R6 Rear Shock Mod - Sportbikes.net

I'm waiting to see if the R1 shock will work over the R6 since it is the proper length and has a heavier spring. I cannot speak to why the mount has to be cut but it is obviously a clearance issue. If it's from the reservoir, a remote type may very well be a solution. But i think it may be from a different style upper spring mount. Biker bill may be able t speak to this but I think the link I provided will also give you the answer. :thumbup: