3k Oil change - oil light question

F

FZSex

Hi folks, yesterday I changed oil (Shell Rotella 5w40 synth) and filter (purolator baby), checked amount and headed to my g/f's place 30 miles away. ...no kiddin, immediately noticed the better shifting..

Anyway, ran like a champ. This morning at 5:30, its about 45 degrees and I let the bike warm up maybe 2 minutes so I baby it down the road as she warms up. Within 1 mile, the oil light came on. I was sayin NOOOOOOO in my head and then about 10 seconds later, the light went out. Temp was fine so I completed my ride into work (40 minutes). Had a buddy doublecheck the dipstick while I sat on the bike. Its fine, just maybe a touch under the mid marker and I'll remedy that when I get home.

Anyway, any of you had a oil light hit some time after an oil change for no reason?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Strange...I had the same issue for a while. Only ever experienced this after I performed my 1st oil change.

I would let the bike warm up and I would get about 1 min down the road and the oil light would come on. I pull over, shut the bike off, restart and it would never come back on. It started to do this consistantly almost every day. Oil level was fine and temp was fine.

It went away after I had my bike in for it's 25,000km service (had oil and filter changed).

So sounds exactly like your issue. Never found out what casued it either.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well, there is a reason, the oil level is a bit lower than the limit switch actuation point. It's not uncommon at all, just add about 8 oz. to the crankcase and it will stop.

If that was the case, then the light would continue to come on all the time. Mine didn't. Like I previously stated, the level of my oil was fine and acording to the dip stick it was on the higher end of full but not over full.

Maybe they need to be uber full? What your saying sounds like the issue and is obviously something to do with the amount of oil, just really strange that it only happend once moving, not during warmming up. Could it have been that once the oil got circulated and distributed throught the enigne, the overall oil level fell too low?

Last edited:
F

FZSex

No kiddin, I don't think what was mentioned above would be correct in my situation either.

30+ miles, no light. Within 1 mile the next morning, light is on for 10 seconds and all is well again and the oil was not low.