Basic MSF Rider Course Completed

pyroclastic

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed the basic MSF rider course this weekend and I have to say that my arms and left hand are very tired (tons of clutch work). I was somewhat apprehensive to taking the course at first (I "know" how to ride), but it was on day two when I really learned what steep turns were and how to really control the bike in the "friction zone". Although my trainer bike was smaller and much older than my FZ6 the trainer bike really made me appreciate the luxuries of a new bike (e.g. disc brakes, fuel injection, etc.). Riding at high speed increases stability and it can be easier to control the bike, but the MSF course really shows you how to ride slow and stay in control of the bike. The two U-turns in the box looked hard, but when done properly were really easy. I will not say that this course is for everyone, but I think I really gained some experience from this course and I am thinking about taking the advanced rider course, which you use your own bike in order to ride. ;)

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, I'm definitely down with taking the advanced course. But I'm going to give myself a full year of riding before I take it. When I asked my instructor at the BRC he suggested that I wait at least 6 months to give myself time to get accustomed to my bike. Seemed like sound advice so next spring I'll be back on the range for my refresher course.

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed the basic MSF rider course this weekend and I have to say that my arms and left hand are very tired (tons of clutch work). I was somewhat apprehensive to taking the course at first (I "know" how to ride), but it was on day two when I really learned what steep turns were and how to really control the bike in the "friction zone". Although my trainer bike was smaller and much older than my FZ6 the trainer bike really made me appreciate the luxuries of a new bike (e.g. disc brakes, fuel injection, etc.). Riding at high speed increases stability and it can be easier to control the bike, but the MSF course really shows you how to ride slow and stay in control of the bike. The two U-turns in the box looked hard, but when done properly were really easy. I will not say that this course is for everyone, but I think I really gained some experience from this course and I am thinking about taking the advanced rider course, which you use your own bike in order to ride. ;)
Congrats! I taught the MSF courses for 12 years, and one of the most pleasing moments is when a rider (new or used) has one of those "ahaa" moments when everything starts coming together.

When I first took the course, I had been riding and competing (enduros, observed trials, a little motocross) for quite some time. I knew if I could learn just one more detail, it would all be worth it. I did. It was.

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, I'm definitely down with taking the advanced course. But I'm going to give myself a full year of riding before I take it. When I asked my instructor at the BRC he suggested that I wait at least 6 months to give myself time to get accustomed to my bike. Seemed like sound advice so next spring I'll be back on the range for my refresher course.

Good idea. Unless the rules have changed, both you and your bike will undergo a "tech" inspection". We wanted everything to be in good working condition. I've only come across a couple bikes that I wouldn't let through.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Both my wife and son have taken the MSF course and enjoyed it very much. I have been riding for 40 years and I know I could learn more by taking the course. In the mean time, I have gone over everything my wife and son learned in the course and started using what I wasn't already. I will take the course soon.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Congrats man and well done! It's always nice to hear and see people who take the time and spend the money on a good investment in themselves!!

It was still a big step up getting on the FZ compaired to the 125cc Hondas at the course!! I personally couldn't of imagined getting on my FZ6 (1st bike) without taking the MSF and Road courses!!

superxcrewfx4

Reaction score
fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com
Hahaha, tell me about it. I am familiar with manual shifting, so that helped, but the whole experience of a powered bike was another thing. I have driven over 40 miles so far and its just awesome. If i didnt work 3a-3p's I would ride a while lot more.....